I've heard many people refer to a

divorce like a death...how close is this analogy and what's your take on it?

ShouldHaveLeft

Asked by ShouldHaveLeft at 9:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• It is the death of a relationship. Do you not miss the partner in your life (as if they had died)? No touching, no kissing or hugging, no laughter, no shoulder to lean on, no one to "count on", no one to comfort you or to scratch the itch you can't reach ... it's sad and it takes time to recover. I got divorced after 15 yrs with the same man. It's not that you CAN'T go on, it's just hard. Familiarity = comfort. Who doesn't want to be comfortable?
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 9:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• It's the death of a marriage, but in many cases it's more like the rape, torture and murder of a marriage. It amazes me the intense anger people direct at the people they personally selected 'to love, honour and cherish...' apparently until they didn't feel like it anymore.

In terms of the stress involved in dissolving a marriage, yes, it can be considered comparable to a death... and depending on the ...immaturity of the people involved, more like a violent death out of nowhere caused by a terrorist rather than a slow decline into dying of old age.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I don't know, I would live on if I got divorced.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 9:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• ive heard the same thing....but im not divorced yet but soon to be....honestly i cant wait because maybe then he will stop threatning to take my son from me even though he knows he isnt capable of taking care of out son....his own father told him that
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• A divorce can be an emotion death to a partner who may not want the divorce. When both partners understand that it wont work and they're better off not together I actually heard it can be a second chance and a better beginning.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 11:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I have heard being referred to as a failure, but not a death.

Answer by older at 9:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2010