School and grades......kids grades are not their best right now and i'm trying to think of something of a small reward for better grades!

My brother and i grew up a guy who would get straight A's and money handed to him just like that. and i mean $20's! I don't really want to go that way, because i really can't afford that kind of money anyway. But i've tried to talk to them about school, grades and have gone to teacher conf. with the boys at their school. And i know daughter is'nt doing too good either and she's in High School. I want to do something for them and kind of hint about it to get them motivated to "GO, GO, GO!

4theloveofTink

Asked by 4theloveofTink at 9:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Nothing, I don't believe in paying for good grades. Some kids are not capable of straight A's no matter what they are bribed with. Some kids, A"s come easy while others have to work their butts off for C's.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I don't want to give them money.......a treat other than money
    4theloveofTink

Comment by 4theloveofTink (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Hmm.. perhaps you can maybe ask them sometimes alone of what they really wanted for a long time. So then you start to promise them they'll get it if they improve more in school. Maybe like every 2-3 A's they get, you will stamp (or sign) something that keeps track of it. So then while they work harder, you can use the time to get the money to save towards what they want. ^_^
    Unknown3

Answer by Unknown3 at 2:39 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• OP: never said money. Giving a treat for good grades is still paying them to get good grades. I was "bribed" for grades and it didn't matter, I couldn't get more than a C average. I busted my butt to get B's and C's while my brother did nothing and got A's. I still don't believe in rewards for good grades.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• As a home schooling mom, I don't even give grades. I give a numeral "score" for reporting purposes only. Otherwise it's talked about as doing well or needs improvement. My oldest is DCD (Developmentally, Cognitively Disabled) and has an IEP for school. She's in PS - her dad won't let her be home schooled. My middle one is in 4th grade - doing 8th grade math. She will probably graduate and 16 yrs old. My youngest one is "average" or a little under. As long as each of my kids are doing their best - that's all that matters and that's all I care about.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2010