How can I get a 3 yr old to stop her snotty tone of speaking?

With my daughter, it's all about tone. That's what's throwing me for a loop. I don't know how to punish on tone of voice but it definitely needs to go before it becomes part of her personality. I don't know if many 3 yr olds are this way. I haven't noticed it much. The hard part is that she could say the exact same thing in a different tone and it would be nice but the tone she uses makes her sound mean and unfriendly. I've started pointing it out to her and putting her in time outs because I don't want her to become so accustomed to it that it becomes who she is. Is that going to far? What would you do?

Isaidit

Asked by Isaidit at 10:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ignore it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Where's she learn it? Keep her away from people who speak like that. If she does it, tell her it's not nice and to stop
    Anonymous

• My grandfather recently heard her and he said if I don't do something about it she won't amount to anything. My husband's sister behaves this way so I think there is a very strong genetic component. His parents gave up on trying to correct it when she was small.
    Isaidit

Comment by Isaidit (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• my 3 year old sounds like a whine in everything she says, even when not whining. Most everyone i know says its cute though, like a dog wimper type of thing. I figure she will grow out of it. I'm not sure she understands "tones" yet. But when she DOES give me attitude, i tell her "you dont talk to me like that" and put her in timeout till she is ready to speak again without the attitude.
    babystew

Answer by babystew at 10:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I'm sorry.. she's 3? She's using a snotty tone at 3? And your grandfather said if she continues she won't amount to anything?? And she's 3?? I'm actually kind of fearful for the child. She's 3??
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Generally kids emulate what they hear. Could be on TV. Limit the shows she is watching to just Nick Jr or Sprout. Some of those kids on the NICK shows and Disney shows have really smart mouths.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Also pay attention to your own tone as well when you speak to people. Make sure its not you she;s emulating. My 4 yr old called my hubby a dumb slut the other day. Apparenlty he was listening when I was muttering under my breath when "16 and Pregnant" was on.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• m-avi,
    Oh yes indeed she is using a snotty tone at 3. She's a very sophisticated three year old. She can read if that tells you anything.
    Isaidit

Comment by Isaidit (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• my daughter actually just started this. she is 5yrs old. i make her say it the right way and if she refuses then put her in time out. give her a chance to correct herself. Tell her the right way to say things or ask for things.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 5:12 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• You cannot stop her tone at least I never could. Be sure first she knows what the word TONE is. Ask her...what do think tone means? She might not know what she's doing wrong?
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 5:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2010