S/o of those who converted from Christianity... I am curious...

I have a two part question, What are your perceptions of who God is , his character and looks? How did you come to this conclusion? :)
The reason I asked is someone in that other post described God as the bearded man in the sky and honestly I laughed. :) I never see him looking like that!

Shaneagle777

Asked by Shaneagle777 at 10:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know. I'm atheist.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 10:25 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Well, I just don't believe that there's one way to Heaven, or one way to follow God. I don't believe that unless you believe in Jesus and/or the Bible that you're going to Hell. I think that many people worship him in many different forms. I don't really know how o picture God, not even what He is. The truth is...I have no idea exactly what the truth is about God, but I don't think that I need to. I've felt Him with me my entire life, and I know He hears me.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I don't know if that really even answered your question or I just went off babbling, lol. But anyways...I don't rally picture God, I find Him to be more of a presence.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• His character is self evident in His book. If a man had done what that God has done, he would be convicted of mass murder many times over. As to his looks, the barest of description is of a man who's face is so bright it can not be looked upon.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Depends on which god you're talking about. There have been so many over these thousands and thousands of years.

Even when I was a Christian, I never pictured a face. I always liked this way to view him. 

anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Ok umm thats not what I was asking LovingSAHMommy...

I didn't want to know what you beliefs are faith wise.
    When someone says God... what do you see ? what do you think he is like looks and character wise.
    What do you perceive him to look like and perceive what his character is like.
    Does that make more sense?
    Shaneagle777

Comment by Shaneagle777 (original poster) at 10:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Ah ok LovingSAHmommy :-) I was typing before seeing your 2nd response.
    anng.alanta I am only speaking of the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob... the Christian/Jewish God
    Shaneagle777

Comment by Shaneagle777 (original poster) at 10:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• AbsoluteSelf: Thank you for your honest and respectful response :-)
    Shaneagle777

Comment by Shaneagle777 (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• There are many paintings that depict God as an old, bearded man in the sky, so maybe their imagery comes from stuff like that?

I don't picture God in any way, because I don't believe in an anthropomorphic, personal, creator god. I consider myself a pantheist, so to me God is equivalent to the Universe or Nature. Everything is God. I typically say 'Universe' instead of 'God' when speaking, but to me they're interchangeable.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• anng.alanta I am only speaking of the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob... the Christian/Jewish God "

If someone converted FROM Christianity, how is their idea of God going to be the Christian God? If they aren't Christians, and don't believe in Him, how are they going to describe what they think He looks like? I'm confused, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2010