Online dating?

I started talking to a man about 2 months ago. Whom i met on a dating website. We have only emailed and spoke on the phone once. It started out as just a friendship and we talked mostly about our past relationships. Then, he told me, just last week that he was still in love with a woman he had dated and had broke it off with her. Then told me that maybe he was just in love with the idea of a relationship with her. Now, he wants more than friendship from me...

How would you see this?

gogogirl79

Asked by gogogirl79 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• just as he said
    he loves someone else
    wants to be only friends with you

then says wants more from you
    and MAYBE just in love with idea of other woman

DO NOT stoop down and be his 2nd choice, the woman he can not have so you will do i guess

not good enough for you!! you deserve a man who loves you first not a cheap subsitute
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:25 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I'd wish him well and move on

Answer by admckenzie at 10:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Seems like he might need some time to get over her. Or else he may go back if you guys started dating, or he could talk about her while you were dating.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 10:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I'll say don't do anything until he's for sure. You may just be a rebound
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Always remember that online chemistry does not translate to real life chemistry. If everything was perfect thus far, the facts remain that there is no guarantee that you will be equally yoked or that you will have chemistry. With that said, I would be turned off by his ambiguity. When you're on line you have plenty of time to think over your thoughts before you send them, soall this ambiguity and flip flop I'm not buying it. If he is that confused and unsure, then he certainly wouldn't be allowed to waste my time. Tell him to write when he has his thoughts and emotions together and that you are interested in meeting a man who has emotional intelligence. I've met men through on line dating and every situation is not negative but in this case, if it smells like a rat, its a rat. Don't trust it. Establish some boundaries first of what is and is not acceptable and what you know you will not tolerate.
    ladyofhonor

Answer by ladyofhonor at 11:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Rebound baby. I'd still b friends if he's willing, but would keep it at that.
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 12:03 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• It sounds to me like even IF he wasn't wish washy, which honestly makes me think for now just be friends and see what develops, you guys need more time before deciding.
    I feel strongly that online realtionships offer great pototential if you're speaking frequently and honestly, but I also believe that they need more time to develope. I met my husband online and we talked at a minimum daily on the phone for two hours, plus emailing and IM for probably a month or two before we were really together then a similar routine once we were together for a few more months. When we both movedon to school it moved to just 15min on weekdays and up to 4 hours or more when he was home on weekends. We didn't meet in person until we'd been together 9 months. We've now been married 4 years so there's potential I just think it takes MORE time.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 12:25 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i say dontrush things take them slow
    wowiemommy

Answer by wowiemommy at 12:39 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• he is not that into you (at least not yet) he is still hung up on his ex. it sounds like your are just someone for him to talk to because he is lonely.
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 10:18 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• sounds like you are the rebound girl....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2010