does anyone have kids on adderall?

so my oldest niece was diagnosed with adhd. and they put her on adderall. it has helped so much. i didnt realize how "everywhere" her mind was. instead of coming home and "forgetting" to do her homework she gets right on it and finishes in a good amount of time. before it would take like an hour- hour and a half with me constantly reminding her to focus. and she doesnt get so upset about everything anymore and offers to help me like she use to. it's great. the only draw back is she wont eat. i know that was one of the side effects but she never wants to eat. this from a kid who use to love to snack (on healthy foods) all day. now she get so little on her plate and pushes the food around. we have to make her eat and even then it's so little. we worry that she isnt eating at school even though she says she is. and she never snacks anymore. so my question is how do we get her to eat? any and all advice would be appreciated.

teddybear2272

Asked by teddybear2272 at 10:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son was on Adderall and Ritalin. And the only thing these meds did for my son was make him Loopy and disconnected to everyone. It was like he was a walking zombie. Without any feelings and emotions. I hated it, and told my Ex husband that we were taking him off of it and we would just deal with it.....

My first son who is now 27 had ADD. And after about the age of Puberty, they calm down a lot!!....But, then comes the teenage years and all that trouble...LOL....Anyhow, good luck with it and your decision to keep her on these meds....

Note: They also give kids coffee and other stimulants like Mountain Dew, that seem to help!
    gogogirl79

Answer by gogogirl79 at 10:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• step son is on it

does not eat well on it- side effect
    also he has hard time sleeping- side effect

sorry no answer
    he is 14 and did not take over summer, he ate like a teen and slept like one too
    he grow so much, and after summer you could no longer see his ribs
    unfortunately his mom made him take it again when school started
    i do not think he needs now that he is this old and puberty has taken over
    but not my child

he is back to not eating and not sleeping
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My twin boys have acute genetic ADHD. They were diagnosed at age 6. They are now 18 yrs old. They started out on Ritalin. When they outgrew that they went to Concerta with no results. They were put on Strattera which worked great till thier teen years. They were then put on Adderall till they were about 17 1/2. The Adderall worked very well for them. They didn't have the lack of appetite issue, however. So, I haven't had to deal with that to offer any real advice. But, I can say, that there are many different meds you can try that may work better with her chemistry. My boys are now on Vyvanse with AMAZING results. Talk to your doctor about your concerns about her lack of appetite. It might be worth trying a new med over the Christmas break while she is at home and grades won't be affected during testing. There are some great ADHD support groups here on CM that might have some advice for you as well.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• thanks for ya'll advice. my niece is 11 but she has already started the change. boobs butt and yes period. and that's what we thought that was why she was being so hard to handle. she was always a very good kid and student. had alittle trouble with her when my mom died but after counseling she got better. then when she started 3rd grade she slowly starting getting attitude. and last year was crazy! she started her period and was hormonal all the time and then her grades started slipping. she passed but her parent did consider holding her back. and at the begining of this yr her teacher recommended she get tested for adhd. she's been doing great, just the eating thing. but i'll talk to her mom about other meds she could take. thanks again :)
    luv u me
    teddybear2272

Comment by teddybear2272 (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2010