My 2 year old grinds her teeth at night. Anybody know why this happens or how to stop it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At least 2 of my 3 did that. Most annoying noise on the planet. More than likely it will stop on it's own. You can always put in a call to the family dentist just to make sure.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• The dentist can make a mouth guard so when she grinds her teeth she wont damage them.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 10:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My Dr. told me it's due to stress. And i think there is some sort of teeth plate for grinding teeth. The kind of thing football players wear but not as big. I'm assuming that one.
    4theloveofTink

Answer by 4theloveofTink at 10:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• It's called bruxism and no one really knows why it happens. It might be because your DD has an earache or her top & bottom jaw don't align properly or she might be teething. In adults, bruxism often happens because of stress, and kids can grind for the same reason. There may be no reason at all & it's just something she does. Most kids do outgrow their bruxism, but if you notice any damage to her teeth or if she is complaining of headaches or jaw pain, you should take her to the dentist to be checked out (you may want to do this anyway). If she's clenching/grinding really bad, she may need to be fitted for a bruxism guard, although I don't know if you could get a 2 y/o to wear one.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Our dentist said it's normal to an extent, they are grinding their teeth to be more even or something like that (I had a 2 and 3 year old screaming about being at the dentist), he said they usually stop on their own and not to worry with toddlers. I'd just call your dentist if it worries you tho.
    goorob

Answer by goorob at 9:33 AM on Dec. 2, 2010