OMG my Cat just ate Tinsel

We just put our Tree up and or Cat ate some tinsel. What do I do? Can anyone tell me if this is harmful?I hope he dosen't die. We have only had him for 2 month's How can i stop him from this?

lissac315

Asked by lissac315 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Pets

• Tinsel is dangerous. It can get wrapped around the intestines I think. I could be wrong. Nothing you can do now except watch his poop and take away all the tinsel.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• If your really concerned call the vet but I dont think you should be worried something like that he should pass it in a day or two.... my dog as a puppy ate some random things like string and they came out.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 10:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• We haven't put tinsel on our trees for years due to having cats. It's very dangerous for them to eat and you should take it off the tree now. Replace it with tinsel garlands or ribbon or bead garlands. Much easier to un-decorate the tree, too.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• If he keeps doing it I would get rid of the tinsl! I would think its just gonna come out the other end. My dog sometimes chews and eats her rope toys and poops out some of that (I only know from when I scoop it up from the backyard. Im not out playing in poop lol) However you might want to put a call into the vet and just see what they say!
    klpeter

Answer by klpeter at 10:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Our dog when I was little once ate a piece, and we realized it when it was literally hanging out of her butt the next day, lol. I'd call the vet just to be safe, though.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:31 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Bad kitty. Tinsel can be quite harmful as it can get tangled up. Perhaps see if you can give the cat a little olive oil, like a teaspoon or two on his dinner. Don't pull on it if you see it coming out the other end, he needs to poop it out. If he doesn't pass it in the next day, then you need to give the vet a ring.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• i know that they changed tinsel a few years ago because kids were eating it and it was causing cuts in thier intestines. the tinsel you buy now and over the last 3-4 years should be safe, if its tinsel youve had for a few years you should probably call the vet.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Oh, and to get him to stop...well you probably won't as tinsel is so much fun. You will need to remove the tinsel with a cat in the house now.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Tinsel can't get wrapped AROUND intestines - its INSIDE the intestines. Our cats just pooped it out. I know that when a dog eats something and you want to "help move it along" you give them pumpkin. (My vet told me that and it really works) Call your vt if you're really concerned.
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 12:10 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• True, it does go through the intestine, but it also can get wound tight around the curves in there, cutting off the intestines as well. That is why you need to keep a close eye and don't pull on it.

The pumpkin is added fiber, which helps with diarrhea or constipation too. The oil will also help move things along with more ease, but it can cause loose stools. And if you use pumpkin it needs to be100% canned, a few teaspoons for a small cat is plenty. Don't use pumpkin pie.

Be careful of ribbon on gifts, string and floss too!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:44 AM on Dec. 2, 2010