I have 2 baby doctors. 1 wants me to start rice cereal at 4 month, the other wants me to starts at 6 months. What do I do?

AbsoluteSelf

Asked by AbsoluteSelf at 10:38 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep in mind that the main source of a baby's nutrition in the first year of life should come from formula or breastmilk. Solds are merely for "fun." It's up to you when you want to start. I started my son at 4 months, and it was a struggle at first. We waited until my daughter was closer to 6 months to start solids and skipped the rice cereal completely. She had already outgrown the tongue reflex and was more ready to eat from a spoon.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• If you feel your baby needs more substance in their diet, then that's what you do. My kids started eating solids way before 6 months. All four of them grew up to be adults who have absolutely NO allergies whatsoever.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Eating has more to do with the child's physiological development than some arbitrary date. If the child still has the tongue thrust reflex, then the child is too young for food of any kind. My DD had it until 5.5 months.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Do what YOU want there is no right or wrong way. I had mine eating rice cereal at 2 months and full on baby food by 4 months. we are one of the only countries to start feeding so late. feeding early does not cause food allergies it just uncovers them early(which can be scary, I get that)but you know your baby better than any doctor so go with your gut., and have fun with it. My baby loved food
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 10:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2010