If you're pregnant dont you automatically get insurence or am I making that up?

I dont know the law in every state but I know in my state (maryland) that if you are pregnant or have children you automatically get health insurance if you cant affordit yourself (medicaid)? I hear some moms talk about not having health insurance and some are with child and it's scary to know.

Jenaiko01

Asked by Jenaiko01 at 10:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Health

• I know thats true in my state unless you dont qualify because of a drug charge or other reasons that permanently disqualify you for assistance.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 10:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• No, but you're more likely to qualify for it than if you weren't pregnant. I already had insurance when I got pregnant, but I don't think just anyone can get it. If so, why would people be stuck with huge hospital bills? A friend of ours still owed $30,000 in bills bc they didn't have insurance and didn't qualify for the Medicaid or whatever.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• i think its only for the one's who either don't have insurance already or the lower income families.
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 10:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I believe, if you have no insurance, and are below a certain amount of $, you can get insurance through Medical (California). But some people just make BARELY above the maximum, and struggle, and dont qualify...
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 10:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• automatic? not really. you have to go apply for medicaid.
    Anonymous

• Where i live yes we do immidiately
    mommyof2chasmin

Answer by mommyof2chasmin at 10:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I mean after you apply ann.
    Jenaiko01

Comment by Jenaiko01 (original poster) at 10:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• that is true here in oregon.....i think its a federal thinga ctually.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• In Alabama you can apply for Medicaid, but you still have to meet the income requirements and all that. When I was pregnant with my second child, my husband lost his job, meaning we lost all our insurance, and they wouldn't let me on Medicaid because they were still counting his last two months of pay even though he had got laid off and wasn't getting paid that anymore.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 11:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2010