Home school verses public school

Has anyone else had this debate with their SO or DH? Our daughter is only ten months, but already we don't agree. The school system around here isn't very good. We can't move b/c his job is too good to move away. However, education is very important to me. I want my daughter taught well, not just stuck in a room with 30 students and one very frustrated teacher. My dh wants her to go to public school to make friends. I feel that school isn't just about making friends. Opinions??

bseastrand

Asked by bseastrand at 10:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We homeschool our children. We wouldn't have it any other way. I'm sorry I have no advice to budge with your dh. The best I can say is make a list the two of you of pros and cons and opinions and go from there.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 3:51 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I sent both of my kids to pubic school. I think it's basically a decision that only you can make. I am sure there are pros and cons of each. I would suggest that you do a lot of research on both options. There are a lot of home schooling groups here on Cafemom and most of these women are more than happy to talk to you about what they do. Good luck.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• my husbandi i disagree on this too , he wants public i want private also, i think private schools would have a better quality of learning, more opportunities, and i also think that their would be better kinds of kids around her , and no friends are definately not a reason , she will make friends in public school as well,its about her future and what is best for her and what will give her the best educational opportunities.there is too much negative influences in public school.
    bekkaboo89

Answer by bekkaboo89 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I have 3 boys, my oldest went to private school for a few years before I had his younger brothers. Then he went to public school, the younger two went to public school, but I pulled them out and homeschooled them when they were 6 & 8. There are definitely pros and cons of all 3 situations.

My husband was opposed to homeschooling in the beginning, but now feels that it was the best thing we could have done for our kids. As for making friends, school is the only time of your life when the people that you spend all day with are the same age as you, from generally the same economic and social background as you are. My younger boys were involved in a couple of homeschool groups, took tennis, and swimming lessons, played sports in community programs, and took art and music lessons. They were never at a loss for friends, and learned to social with kids of all ages, and from a wide variety of backgrounds.

Continued
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:12 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• We had a homeschool P.E. day twice a week, a bookclub, and all kinds of homeschool activities. We also did something the public schools didn't do.....we had time to finish every text book cover to cover, and still stop and linger over chapters, books or projects that the boys showed a particular interest in......

The other thing I have to say, is that I felt like I knew boys strengths and weaknesses better than I ever did when they were in public school.

There were definitely things the homeschool could offer that we couldn't at home, and it took an enormous amount of preparation, but I really loved doing that.

Our younger boys are 19 & 21, and are both in college now. The youngest started college at 15.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:16 AM on Dec. 2, 2010