Do you believe that there are some people who are just born evil or is evil a product of our environment and experiences in the formative years of life?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 10:42 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't think so =) I think the way life treats you you start becoming more & more mean or nicer depends on what your life is/was that you turned out the way you do...
    mommyof2chasmin

Answer by mommyof2chasmin at 10:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• There have been clinical studies that show some children are born with sociopathic tendencies, sometimes seen as early as 3 years old. Jonathan Kellerman wrote a fascinating non-fiction book on this called "Savage Spawn: Reflections on Violent Children".
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:44 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• There have been clinical studies that show some children are born with sociopathic tendencies, sometimes seen as early as 3 years old. Jonathan Kellerman wrote a fascinating non-fiction book on this called "Savage Spawn: Reflections on Violent Children". "

I am going to have to read this now! That sounds interesting!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I suppose it's possible that people are born evil but personally I think circumstances take them over and they react to them.

That's why I like the song "Life Turned Her That Way" by Ricky Van Shelton. I think it's a bit helpful in understanding other people sometimes.

firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 10:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I don't know. That's kinda tough. I lean towards thinking yes, some are born evil. However, if you look at most of the big time serial killers, they have a lot of things in common with their childhoods and traumatic events. A lot of molestation, abuse, etc., and that makes me think that it's a product of their environment. Who knows, though? I've always found criminal psychology very interesting and would most likely have a career in that area if I weren't a SAHM and housewife. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Here's a bump, good question. I read a lot of true crime and I ponder this often. It really does seem like some people habe ZERO conscience, and it's scary.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Hmmm, interesting question. Years ago I would have argued against someone being born evil. After my ex-husband, I'd have to say it's possible he came that way.
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 12:05 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I don't buy the "I was molested and abused so therefor I am evil - poor me" sob story. My brother likes to dish it out that way and I tell him everyone has a choice and makes that choice. I was molested for YEARS - mostly FROM this brother and I was abused for YEARS from my adoptive parents....I am not evil. I love my children with all my heart and never ever would I hurt them. I have never and will never abuse them. I don't think it's environmental at all. I think that's a loaded crock of bullshit! We all have the choice to do what's right or not to, and they that choose not to, well they deserve what they get. My brother likes to blame all his problems on our abandonment from our birth mom, adoption by parents who abused us and that doesn't fly with me because I went through a hell of a lot more abuse from them than he EVER did! He left home at 9yrs old - I did at 15. He went to a kid ranch in CA. I was stuck hit everyday.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:22 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yes, my ex
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 11:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I don't think people are BORN evil.. I think its a learned behavior!!
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 10:48 AM on Dec. 2, 2010