allergy meds during pregnancy?

is it ok to take something like zyrtec? im 18 weeks and the doctor gave me a list of what not to take and things such as that are not on there but then a friend said her doctor said not to if she didnt have to. but im so tired of the sneezing and coughing and itchy eyes.

lucasmommy503

Asked by lucasmommy503 at 10:48 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes you can but I'd call the pharmacist before you do. They know more about drugs than your doctor does, so as long as you don't need a prescription get their advise.

I always asked them about ANY drug including ones my doc prescribed when I was pregnant. Turns out, one of them they would NOT recommend me to take. I called my doc and they changed it to something safer.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My doctor ok'd Benadryl, but I'd still call and ask your doctor about what you can and can't take. Most likely one of the nurses will be able to tell you.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• ASk your Doctor. I had allergies when I was pregnant and he prescribed a safe medication.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• my doc told me that Zyrtec was fine to take during pregnancy but there are some allergy meds that are not ok. I agree with the first poster-ask your pharmacist.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 11:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• my Dr gave me a list of okay meds that i dont have to ask before i use and Benadryl, Zyrtec, & Sudafed were all on it. unless you have some sort of complication i would think its fine to take those 3, but it never hurts to make the call.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:13 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Claritin was the only allergy med I was cleared to take.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Dec. 2, 2010