At what age do you get your child a cel phone?

alissawuthrich

Asked by alissawuthrich at 10:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My opinion is when they start driving.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• That's a good answer.
    alissawuthrich

Comment by alissawuthrich (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I bought my 10yo a cell but only because we dont have a house phone and he ocasionally likes to stay home if im just running to the store or something and i dont want him to be phoneless....but he doesnt have it regularly...only if hes home alone or goes to a friends house so i can keep in touch with him.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 10:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• we got one for my 12 year old dss when she was 11. i think that middle school is when they think they need to have more freedom and it keep s tabs on them.hers has a gps in it so she can be tracked.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• He was 10. It was a necessity for us at the time. He doesn't have one now only because we switched and it isn't as needed, but, we will be getting one soon.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• 16, and ours will be required to have a part time job to help with the expense. Parents are creating monsters when they give a cell phone to a child that doesn't know anything about responsibility. It creates a sense of entitlement, and the parents will end up paying the price (in a big way) for that in the future.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• My oldest is only 3 right now, but they will not be getting cell phones until at least into their teens. Probably when they have a job and can pay for their own bill and have shown they are responsible enough for it.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• LOL...my son won't even use it except when he really is desperate to reach me. He doesn't overuse it, nor, is he a gimme monster.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• When they can pay the bill.
    Lordgivemewizdm

Answer by Lordgivemewizdm at 11:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Hmm, maybe 10
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 11:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2010