Landlord Turning water off if rent is late, is that allowed?

If you pay your rent late is the landlord allowed to turn the water off? They pay for the water.

justme581

Asked by justme581 at 11:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I'm pretty sure it's legal, but I'm not positive.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Is it in the signed contract between you and the landlord? If not, well I don't know. I've never heard of such a thing.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 11:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I have no idea. I have never been late paying my rent or ANY bills. You should ask. ASk them. Ask an attorney.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Its not me. So I am not sure if she signed a contract or not.
    justme581

Comment by justme581 (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• In many states, there are laws restricting what can be turned off if there are small children in the household. In this event, the landlord holds the right to serve an eviction notice if he is restricted with shut-offs. This is somethng that needs to be checked into on a local basis. 2-1-1 (first call for help) is a good resource to call to find out information.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Call the mediation department in your town, maybe at your local DSS and discuss the situation~~
    ILOVEMYBOYS704

Answer by ILOVEMYBOYS704 at 11:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• no it is not allowed. get the landlord tenant book in your city, join prepaid legal so that they can send him a letter, inform yourself and get to a law library. check out expert law.com. call landlord tenant mediation. check to see if your place has mold or other issues so that you will have an ace in your corner, get educated and informed so that he will know that he can't take advantage of you, you have rights and if a child is in the home he could be in trouble.
    ladyofhonor

Answer by ladyofhonor at 12:14 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I wouldn't think so. Most apartments have water included with the rent. That's like telling you to get out if you are one day late on paying the rent. They usually charge a late fee instead. What's the point of them cutting the water off? Tell them when you pay and see what happens. If they don't turn it back on, check your rental agreement.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:51 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I would think absolutely not. I've never heard of such a thing. R they consistently late with the rent. That could b an issue, but then some landlords aren't very nice. Our last landlord gave our stuff away 2 our neighbors. We weren't late on the rent but we were moving out. Told him would try 2 be out n 2 days. Because of medical reasons didn't make it that day but was there the next. Our neighbors were hauling our stuff out. Pissed me off 2 no end. They stole both our TV's & some other things. Police said what landlord did was illegal. So I kinda now how ur friend feels. She should call a lawyer that doesn't charge 2 answer a question & find out, but I really think no unless it's n the rental agreement. Find out & let us know tho.
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 1:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I don't think that is legal. I would look into that. He sounds like a jerk!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:37 AM on Dec. 2, 2010