Should I go to work or not REAL HARD DELIMA Please read!

I am super attached to my son who is just now one year old! I have cried many hours contemplating my decission to go to work to make more needed money for my family. My husband works full time and provides for us well but our food stamps went down significantly after my husbands raise which does us no good to get ahead if we cannot eat properly! My husband says he rather me not work so I can stay home with my son, and some others say I need to go to work and some others say I am going to miss my son too much. It breaks my heart to think of leaving my son with my mom for work, but then again I wont be leaving him forever....what should I do??? I havent been offered the job but it could happen!! HELP IDK WHAT TO DO YES NO PLEASE

tiffandgene2009

Asked by tiffandgene2009 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• i would work if i was you. im sure you want to give your son nice things and take him on vacations and such. Also, there is nothing wrong with your mother bonding with him also and him being comfortable with other people besides you. my son is 18 months old and I just started working, I also go to college full time and sometimes i just miss him so much but we have our time together and its great and im happy that im a good role model for him and that i will be able to provide for my son and give him nice things.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• If you are on foodstamps then you need to be working. You can not afford to stay home if other people are having to pay for your groceries.

Anonymous

• I think you have to do what is best for your family. Maybe you could get a part time job so you aren't away so much. I worked when my 2 oldest children where little. It was hard at times. although it just meant I enjoyed and valued my time with them even more.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Go to work. If you are still able to collect food stamps, I wouldn't consider your DH to be providing for you well. It is wonderful that DH has a full time job, but if you can't make ends meet on just his salary, then you need to be working too. Don't consider it to be abandoning your DS, instead think of it as quality time with grandma. And just think of all the nice things you'll be able to provide for your son once you are able to support yourselves.
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry you have to make this decision. That's tough. I guess, though, if you need to work to make money for food, you'll have to. Maybe you can just go to work part time, that way you'll still be with him the majority of the time, but you'll have that little bit of extra money for necessities and some for other things. If it were me, and we really needed it, I'd work a few days a week to help out. You may not have to do it forever. Best of luck, hon!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Alot of people go to work and miss their kids but they do and they don't expect the gov't to provide them with foodstamps. I think if you are able to work and you need to in order to feed your family then you should. You are fortunate that your mother is willing to care for your child while you do work.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 11:15 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I agree with others- if your getting foodstamps then you cant afford to stay home..
    Getting a part time job wont kill you.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I know you said your food stamps were cut down (btw so were mine) and you ate attached to your son. why not take a part time job that way you're not away from your son the whole day and you still get to spend time with him. Just something to think about.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I AM NOT SAYING IT WILL KILL ME, It just makes me want to cry my heart out thinking about my son without me
    tiffandgene2009

Comment by tiffandgene2009 (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I would say get a job. If you are getting food stamps, to me just missing your son is not a good excuse not to get a job. Yes, you will miss him, but you will still be in his life, and it sounds like you need the extra money. And if you get a part time job, you won't be away from him that much. And you really need to to if your mom is willing to watch him! I'm looking for a job right now, and can't seem to find one where they will pay me enough to pay for child care for 3 kids, so it's not worth it for me to get a job. I'd being paying more for the child care than the job would be paying me.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 11:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2010