What would you do if your 3 year old was unfriendly to other kids?

Here's a scenario conversation between my 3 yr old and new acquaintance: "I made you a pretend birthday cake" My dd:"I don't want it!" "It's got pink candles." My DD: "I don't like pink candles. I told you I want brown candles." (she didn't)

You are standing right there hearing the whole thing. Do you get involved? What do you say? I sort of meekly told her she was being impolite as another parent looked me over and I shuttered inside thinking I didn't handle it well at all. I don't want to helicopter but I thought her behavior was antisocial and this is very common behavior for her.

Isaidit

Asked by Isaidit at 11:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think you did great. You corrected her. If she continues to be impolite you may need to take it up a notch until she learns that this kind of behavior isn't excepted.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 11:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Three year olds generally don't play well with others for long periods of time. This is her way of letting the other kid know I don't want to play. You corrected her and that is enough. She will outgrow it.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 7:30 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yup Yup. Three is the cross over from toddler on to...well three. She is just finding her opinions and her voice. She has no concept of being rude or antisocial. She must have a strong personality and is learning early she can say What she is feeling. Let other moms look. Your doing some thing right if she feels comfortable sharing her thoughts.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 5:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2010