Just how bad is it other than the sugar?

Can you honestly say that you know someone who got sick from eating raw cookie dough?

I am eating it as I type. Have been doing it for years and have never gotten sick (other than sugar hangover) and I have never hear of anyone getting sick from it.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 11:11 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I have heard of 1 person getting sick from eating raw dough. She had a stomachache, vomitted and was fine. She still eats cookie dough. Learned that the bacteria is on the egg shell, so she washes the eggs before using them. I have been eating cookie dough for 38 years and have never gotten sick. Raw cookie dough is the best.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:28 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• It is the eggs that are uncooked. You can get Salmonella. Like really bad food poisoning.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• If its home made then it would have raw eggs which isnt good but never stopped me either....if its the store bought ready dough then there really nothing to worry about except the calories.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 11:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• It's the raw eggs that can make you sick. I won't eat it, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I know it seems everybody says not to eat it because of salmonella poisoning, but I've eaten it my whole life and not about to stop now, lol. I've never heard of anyone actually getting sick.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 11:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• On occasion I would get a tummy ache from eating it - but I wasn't sure if that was the raw eggs or just from eating too much!! lol Never violently ill though. I did quit eating it when I was pregnant just in case......
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Nope, but, most people i know grew up not eating it once the eggs were in.

The commercial pre-made dough is fine, the eggs are pasteurized. If you were using fresh organic right out the chicken that got to roam free eggs, then, you would be fine. it's those store bought white ones that are the culprit.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Body builders eat raw eggs all the time and don't get sick. We eat homemade cookie dough ALL THE TIME! As a matter of fact, whenever I make certain cookies I make a double batch so so we CAN eat the dough. Been doing this for over 30 years and no one has EVER gotten sick! Just curious though, why would store bought be any different from homemade? Frankly all the preservatives in store bought scare me.
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 11:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I've never heard anyone getting sick from cookie dough. And that is the only way I eat my cookies, in dough form :P
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 12:11 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I always eat the cookie dough, and have never heard of anyone getting sick from it, but with all of the salmonella scares lately, I may be more cautious.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:11 AM on Dec. 2, 2010