Do you think this bill should be blocked?

WASHINGTON – House Republicans have temporarily blocked legislation to feed school meals to thousands more hungry children.

Republicans used a procedural maneuver Wednesday to try to amend the $4.5 billion bill, which would give more needy children the opportunity to eat free lunches at school and make those lunches healthier. First lady Michelle Obama has lobbied for the bill as part of her "Let's Move" campaign to combat childhood obesity.

House Democrats said the GOP amendment, which would have required background checks for child care workers, was an effort to kill the bill and delayed a final vote on the legislation rather than vote on the amendment.

When we are giving THEM FREE LUNCHES?????

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101202/ap_on_bi_ge/us_congress_school_nutrition

Because the nutrition bill is identical to legislation passed by the Senate in August, passage would send it to the white house for President Barack Obama's signature. If the bill were amended, it would be sent back to the Senate with little time left in the legislative session.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• There are other ways to get low income children free lunches.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• GAL..CONGRESS gets FREE food and drinks on OUR dime....

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Sweets. I'm not justifying what Congress gets ... I'm saying that there are other ways to get low income children free lunches. The government needs to let charitable people do what they do best, without the government oversight. They hinder the grace of others in order to have control. I'm sorry that this seems like a harsh thing to say, but there are other avenues. The government needs to get out of the way. That's the best way.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• We already have standards for free and reduced lunch, from the article I guess they want more funds to cover more kids. Among other things. My thing is this, reduced lunch here is 40 cents. It's went up 5 cents since I was in elementary in the 80s yet regular price lunch has skyrocketed to $2.50. Raise the reduced price. And why do they need free after school meals? If they are in childcare a snack is fine. Schools shouldn't provide dinner. As for the health, no one is forcing your kids to eat at school. You can pack a lunch. And how about just removing candy and soda machines all together?
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 11:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• GAL, I don't want to rely on if someone decides to be charitable this month....to feed hungry children

My daughters school has so many kids that receive free or reduced lunch, My daughter thought evryone was getting it. She said to me, Mom, I can save you some money..I'll just get free lunch at school...I had to explain to her that free lunch is for kids that can't afford to buy and maybe can't afford to bring one....

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Sweets

There was a lady on the news one time saying that she used to provide free meals to children in her neighborhood, EVERY DAY. But the state got wind of her charitable work, and told her that she had to get a restaurant license have a professionally installed kitchen in order to do what she wanted. This was an elderly widow who gave out of what little income she had (she was low income too). The state SHUT HER DOWN, because she wasn't a licensed restaurant. There are more than enough kind hearts out there, but the government has tied their hands with bureaucratic bullshit.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• This should pass. We have a school here that out of 500 students, 400 are on free/reduced lunch. A friend of mine did her student teaching there this semester and they had a little boy that received one meal/day-lunch. His mother did not feed him breakfast or dinner. They called CPS and the little boy still is in the custody of his parents. I am with you Sweet, I do not want to rely on charities to feed children.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Gal, I am sure there are many..but not enough. My sister works at a family homeless shelter...they are supported by private and federal $$$ without the fed $$ they wouldn't survive,,,,and the do get MANY private donations..just no where near enough

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Also, I don't know about anywhere else, especially since our school system is pretty incompetent, but I'm sure our school system is getting eaten alive by fraudulent free and reduced lunch kids. They DO NOT verify anything on the application. We have so many kids on free and reduced lunch its almost unbelievable. Because people lie. A girl I work with told me to put my son on it because they don't check. It's rampant here.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 11:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2010