Two questions! One about my daughters rash and one about her starting solids (:

Okay, so, about three days ago, we started my six month old daughter on solids, stage one carrots. Since then, I have noticed two things: One, she has developed a red, rough, patchy rash on her cheeks and chin. It seems to be more obvious on her right cheek though. My daughter has very sensitive skin anyways though. But anyways, Im wondering, could she have a food allergy, to carrots? Any advice about that would be appreciated!
Seconed question, since she started the carrots, they have made her constipated. She gets constipated pretty easily :/ so, Im not sure what to do about that either. I mean, she needs to eat her solids, but of course I dont want her to be constipated! Thanks for any help.

kay526

Asked by kay526 at 11:14 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say it's either allergic reaction to the carrots or the preservitives in the carrots. Try some fresh carrots that you steam or boil yourself. If it is still there, it's the carrots.
    You might also ask the doctor about giving benedryl to help with the rash. And constipation can also be an allergic reaction.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• well i would honestly check if she is teathing before thinking its a food allergy. food allergies typically cause rashes on the belly and behind....but every time my daughter cuts a tooth she gets that nasty rash around her mouth. pediatricaian says to put ucerin cream on it and keep it as dry as possible to prevent infantigo.

as for the constipation maybe think about introducing a baby juice as well as the carrots, pear is supposed be great for constipation.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• If she has sensitive skin, it could just be a coincidence. My son has baby eczema and we took him to an allergist and it turns he's not allergic to anything. But you never know so keep monitoring her skin when you feed her. For the constipation, you could feed her some baby food prunes. Those worked wonders for my son. Stay away from bananas if she constipates easily. They will stop her up for days!
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 11:25 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• babies dont need solids until a year its really just for fun! i would try some real carrots steamed it might sit better on her tummy! wholesomebabyfood.com has some great recipes on making ur own baby food!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• She does not NEED to eat solids. Before a year, they are only for practice. Put the carrots away and try something different if you feel she needs them. And if she gets constipated so easy, try pears.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2010