What can soothe diaper rash? How do I confront his daycare provider tactfully, without smacking her about changing my son more ofter?

My son has gotten really bad diaper rash from his stupid daycare provider not changing him enough. He's never had diaper rash ever and now it looks like he has blisters on his butt. I'm so PO at his daycare provider,he crys when I put anything on it and it must hurt so do you have any advice on soothing his butt butt.

Jenaiko01

Asked by Jenaiko01 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Desitin did NOTHING for my son, I had to use Resinol.

And cornstarch is bad, it can lead to yeast infection by promoting bacteria growth.

Diaper free time is excellent.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• How do you know it's because he isn't changed enough?

And can it be something new he ate? Or something else, like teeth or any other thing?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• On the rare occasion any of my kids got a rash, I would put cornstarch on it and let them be without a diaper for a while. While wearing a diaper, I would recommend Desitin cream. It's a great product that helps shield the wetness from the skin.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Desitin (sp?) My dd had rashes like that a couple times cause of dh not changing her. I'd have to work so I couldn't take care of dd myself at the time cause I was obligated to the military. Constantly put desitin on the rash and should go away in a day or two.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 11:28 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I would just tell them nicely that he is prone to diaper rashes (even if this isn't true) so he needs to be changed frequently and lots of Desitin needs to be applied even when there is no rash. Do supply him with diapers? But some sensitive or natural diapers and tell them to use those only. If they don't use all of them by the end of the day, then you know they aren't changing him enough.

To get rid of it, I would coat his butt in Desitin every changing. Change him often and make sure his butt is dry before applying the ointment. It could also be a yeast infection, in which case you would have to get some prescription meds from his doctor.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 11:29 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Try Boudreaux's (sp*) Butt Paste. My son has gotten slightly red a couple of times and when I put it on him, the redness when away within hours. I would definitely confront her about it, though.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Go get a tube of Athlete's Foot Creme. Put it on 2 diaper changes - I guarantee it'll be almost GONE! I swear! Best stuff EVER!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Well, my grandma raised 3 kids using cornstarch on the butt. My mom raised 3 kids using cornstarch on the butt. And, I raised 4 kids using cornstarch on the butt. Pediatrician actually recommended it! 3 generations of corstarched butts and not one yeast infection.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• And, Bradenismyson is correct...foods can cause diaper rash. It doesn't always have to be an allergy to a food. Sometimes it can be an increase in a particularly acidic food. Acids in foods can cause urine to be more acidic than it already is, therefore causing an extreme rash.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I know because I provide the daipers and so far he's been their for 3months and she still hasn't run out, when I pick him up I always have to change him. As fo rhis diet it hasn't changed. I'm sorry but thats a silly answer.
    Jenaiko01

Comment by Jenaiko01 (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Dec. 1, 2010