How do you bathe your child if they have a very bad diaper rash? Sponge Bath???

TaylorBuz

Asked by TaylorBuz at 9:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• luke warm water and no soap or bubble bath. Apply Lotriman (foot cream) on the diaper rash once he/she is completely dry. Athletes foot and diaper rash come from the same fungus. Lotriman was made for diaper rash but because it is strong, it had to be marketed as a foot cream. My doctor turned me on to it and it works miracles!!! Don't smother the rash with powder and try to keep as dry as possible. If you can avoid the bath, try for a couple of days and just wipe your baby down.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 9:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I gave my son a baking soda bath once when he had a terrible rash... everyone said that that's what I should do- he didn't seem to like being submerged in the water, though. I would suggest the sponge bath- but make sure you do clean his heiney well. Let him run around nakie for awhile too.
    A cream that works great is Clotrimazole Anti fungal cream at 1%-2% concentrations. It is for athlete's foot or vaginal infections, but 2 drs and a pharmacist all recommended this cream to me- it cleared my sons butt up in 2 days. I don't use it daily, but when his rashes get out of control, i swear by it. ($7 at Walgreens/drugstore)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• i let my son sit in a nice warm bath and play for a while and when he was done i put on destin ... and every change after that.. gl they hate being wiped with a rash...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 9:31 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Run some warm water, and put some corn starch in the water. it won't hurt a thing. Don't use soap down there, and don't use wipes, just use regular damp cloths until it's cleared up. Use lotrimin cream you can even use yeast infection meds if you have them at home.
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 10:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• my 1yr old son had and still has little left of that flu thats being going around diarrhea and cold etc...
    well every diaper i chnge every hr it had diarrhea on it and a bad but really bad butt rash everytime i change it he would cry and soon i was done he would take off run away from me he would look at me like he hated me :( it made me feel terrible
    but i made it up to him by giving him a warm calm bath no water no soap and he would play there for while so when he got out i would put that cream balmex and baby oil in top (i would give him least 2-3 baths a day) and his butt rush is gone - so happy :)
    i did use baby soap but just small small amount to mke sure the smell of poopy would go away
    20_mama_3

Answer by 20_mama_3 at 10:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• The bulk of their little bodies don't get that dirty and don't need to be washed that often. For the diaper area, use cetaphil. You can wipe it on with a wet wash cloth and then you can either leave it or wipe it back off with a clean wet washcloth.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:52 AM on Nov. 6, 2008