Is an ipod age appropriate for my soon to be 8 yr old DD's bday?

My daughter is turning 8 soon and I'm trying to decide what to get her for her b day. She LOVES music, she's always singing and dancing around the house. She's all about Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift right now, so I thought maybe she'd like an ipod shuffle (yeah, the cheap one, just in case). I'm not really up on the mp3 players though...is this a good gift for an 8 yr old?

amyb99

Asked by amyb99 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 8 year old granddaughter got and iPod Nano for her 8th birthday this year. She just LOVES that thing! She has all age appropriate music on there and loves listening to it on the way to school. The Shuffle is a good choice, not to mention cheaper than the Nano. I also like the fact that the Shuffle can clip onto clothing to help keep it attached to her while she is dancing to her tunes. Cuz you KNOW she will. Heehee.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I have had an ipod shuffle and other cheaper mp3 players. The ipod is worthy of a kid. Others are not built well enough to withstand anything. Ipod makes a good, sturdy product. My shuffle is 5 years old and used everyday and is still working great. None of the other ones have lasted longer than a month.

if you have the money, then go for it!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I think if you could find a simpler more age appropriate one for her then yes. If it's too complicated for her you may end up helping her with it more than what would be fine for either of you. Check Wal-Mart, Target, Amazon, Radio Shack, Best Buy, Frey's Electronics etc. Um, actually start looking on the internet for ipods for children. Find something that will work then call around to see who has it. That way you won't spend large chunks of time looking everywhere for something.
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 11:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Its a great gift! Just be sure she will take care of it & you may want to buy insurance with it. Also, don't let her bring it to school because other kids steal them-trust me, been there!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:47 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yes! I got my daughter one when she turned 6 and she LOVES it! Go with the cheaper version and load that baby up with Bieber. She will love it!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I would defintely go for the cheap one even if it's not an ipod brand. I think that she would like it but you will need for her to be able to load it on the computer so you will have to show her or do it for her.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I think that's a great idea. Definitely go cheap because it will probably get lost or broken. She'll love it though!
    JessicaB86

Answer by JessicaB86 at 11:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• o yea itll keep the kid active
    lienna

Answer by lienna at 11:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I think its a great gift if she is into music. My daughter loves music herself. For christmas i got her a princess cd player. Can't wait until I can give it to her.
    m_o_m_m_y

Answer by m_o_m_m_y at 12:03 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I'd say do the manor over the shuffel. One of my dds has both and the shuffel is great for when she is runningice skating hiking etc the bank is more versitle. I'm considering a touch for all my kids 15-5 years old for Christmas due to the over all versitlie of the touches. If you download schlepped you can even use it as a cell phone
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 12:28 AM on Dec. 2, 2010