I think I made a mistake.

So, we've had a problem with small animals crawling up under our house every winter. Someone suggested that we place mothballs under the house to keep away those animals. Seemed like a harmless idea. Well we did that today and now I smell that mothball smell in my house. Im worried that the fumes could be harmful to my daughter. Does anyone know? I didn't even think about the smell comming in to the house at all. Help please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in General Parenting

• I had a similar situation some time ago...the smell won't harm ur daughter (I asked my pediatrician), however...I did remove them because if she finds them she could think they're candy or a small ball to play with...I wouldn't recommend having them in the house if you have young children...hope this helped!!
    JulieFrancesca

Answer by JulieFrancesca at 9:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I've never heard of the smell being harmful. Just google it if you're worried
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• no the odor is not harmful. just stinks :)

maybe try cedar instead of moth balls. or give a pest control service a call instead.
    Anonymous

• moth balls can cause respiratory problems. They are very toxic and should only be used for the purpose they are made for. They can kill animals and children if eaten also. I would call your health dept asap. If possible, I would try and remove them from where they are placed.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 9:31 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:31 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• kscmbz- she replaced them there because of the animals...

yes moth balls can cause issues if EATEN but not the smell

it's just the odor they are giving of, no one's inhaling a ground up moth ball or eating it.
    Anonymous

• Well, I put them under the house, and in places where my daughter or my dog couldnt get to. I made sure of that, because I do know that they are very dangerous in ingested. Our house is sort of drafty and old and when I noticed the smell, I was concerned. I plan to open all windows tomorrow when I leave the house to air it out. Its not a strong smell, but I just don't want anything to happen to my daughter. All suggestions so far have been very helpful, thank you. My husband is going to try to remove some of them tomorrow. Hopefully that will help. I think the smell will fade too hopefully after a day or two. We just put them there today.
    Anonymous

• I love the smell of mothballs it reminds me of my Grandmother : ) The smell isn't harmful just overpowering in large doses. Unless you want to get under your house to get them you could just wait for the smell to lessen a little. I really don't know how long that will take though as I've only used them in small doses (a couple in the towel and coat closet, etc). Good luck.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 9:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Well calling a pest control guy would do the trick, or if you rent your home tell the landlord to pay for it,
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 9:29 AM on Nov. 6, 2008