Divorce and support after.

I have lived here for four years, cared for my stepchildren and invested in our home literally. We have a two year old son. As my role was established to care for children and remain at home, how does this affect me for support after we divorce.

KaznGabz

Asked by KaznGabz at 11:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• It depends on what state you live in, each state has different laws. Here in California if you haven't worked you get alimony for half the length of your marriage, and of course child support for your son.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• In terms of spousal support:

It varies from state to state. Each state has it's own set of guidelines for spousal support. In some states, you have to be married for minimum 10 years to receive spousal support.

The only best proctection for spousal support in some states is: a pre-nup or a post-nup (some states require a post nup to not only be notarized but also signed off on by a judge.. .. mine is both)

As far as Child Support. You will receive CS for your 2 yr old .

I hope things go well for you (as well as possible), divorcing can be a tough road to haul.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:05 AM on Dec. 2, 2010