Voting assistants/workers

Where you voted, were there any young people working? In my area, there was absolutely nobody under 60 working which annoyed me for two reasons...first, no young people must have found it worthwhile enough to serve as a worker, and second, it was so effin hot in there I could have smothered...while I am standing there 7 months pregnant dripping sweat for over an hour I hear a 90 year old worker say "It is freezing in here, Frank, turn up the heat!" lol

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 9:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, I'm 30, and there were a few younger than me or around my age, but yes, most were older. Perhaps we should all keep this in mind for next time?
    SLCMOMMY

Answer by SLCMOMMY at 9:38 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I actuallly worked the polls early in the morning for 3 hours. They switched us pretty regularly because so many people had volunteered. It was a beautiful thing to see.
    SLCMOMMY

Answer by SLCMOMMY at 9:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Our poll workers were all old, and women. They were nice, and seemed experienced but I hadn't thought about it till now.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I thought "little old lady" was a job requirement!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• There were actually a lot of different people there...I saw a 30-something man, a 40-something woman, two older women, and two older men. But no people that looked like they were around my age (20). Oh well : /
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I worked at the polls, as did my sister, and we're both under 40. :) There were lots of young poll workers at our site.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 9:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Well, in my area they were all older folks, but I assume that is because they are retired, and so they have the time and enjoy the work. Younger people in my area either work full time, are in school full time, or have little kids to take care of, so it's not as easy for them to spend a day working at the polls.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• 3 women were sitting at the table checking voter registration cards and making sure your name was on the "list". They were no younger than 65. There was a man helping people who were first time voters and showing them how the touch screen worked and he was in his late 40's I'd say and then there was a woman at another booth who was also late 40's or early 50's. no young people. I've never seen young people working the polls. I remember when I was 15 I worked at the polls for extra credit in my government class but it was only because I got extra credit not because I was interested in it all. Funny how the young people (I'm one of them, 23, McCain supporter) were claiming that THEY are the ones that are making this change happen but they were too good (at least in our area) to work the polls and support the process that allows us to even try to make change.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 9:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• where i voted there were volunteers aging from 18-60 but most of them looked like they were in their 20s.
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My son told me this morning that was of his friends who is a girl and 18 was helping and counting ballots?
    Anonymous