How much does it cost for an invisible fence?

Is it hard to install?
Just curious. I would love to have one for my dog but I know they are kinda pricey.

horsesteelers

Asked by horsesteelers at 12:21 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Pets

• It depends on the size of your yard. I believe it is around 1,000-2,000 for Invisible Fence brand installed.

You can purchase a do it yourself electric fence for several hundred I understand.

What kind of dog and what age? These fences are not always effective, particularly when you start with an adult dog or a dog who has a history for bolting, chasing prey, etc..
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:31 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I know three people in my town that have it. I think they bought it and did it themselves. I don't think they paid that much for it. I have a german shepard mix and if he get's loose he will run and is very hard to catch. I was just curious.
    horsesteelers

Comment by horsesteelers (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• If they installed themselves, it is much more economic.

A shepherd mix that is a runner is not going to be a good candidate for an electric fence without a LOT of work and training first. He knows the thrill of the chase and the wind whipping in his ears, unfortunately! LOL.

So I would advise spending your money instead on a long line that you can attach between two trees at a good distance, so he can run, while still safely on a tie of some sort. And of course, while supervised : )
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:04 AM on Dec. 2, 2010