Why do you think Medicaid and FoodStamps are good or bad?

AbsoluteSelf

Asked by AbsoluteSelf at 12:32 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i think its a good thing in most situations, i think it starts to become a bad thing when you start to depend on it and stop trying to help yourself
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 1:01 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think there are times when a person may need help, but any aid should be temporary (6 months) for anyone who can physically work. Having children should not be an excuse to sit and collect aid instead of working because when you have children they are your responsibility. They aren't the tax payers children, they are yours. The same goes for housing (12 months for displaced moms).

I feel that aid should be for those who NEED help because they can't physically work, have temporary medical issues, and for the elderly.

We all 'want' things, but we should all have to pay for things we 'need' and save up for the 'wants'. It isn't right to sit and accept FS so you can eat and spend your money on things you 'want'. Use your money for food (a necessity) and save up for wants ~ and do without until you can afford them. It's a matter or priorities. There are people going without needs so that some can have what they want.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:29 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• They have really helped my family in hard times so of course I am going to say they are good. Not sure if you were just asking a general question or if you are considering applying for them and wanted some facts?
    McErin48

Answer by McErin48 at 12:33 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Good.
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 12:36 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Good temporary help. But not good if you want to be lazy and not even TRY.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:41 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I wish the economy were better.
    I wish that family supporting jobs were more readily available.
    I wish all COs offered affordable HCI.
    I wish there were less of need for fallback systems.
    I am glad those sytems are in place for those in real need.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:04 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• They have both their pros and cons. Some obvious ones being they are there to assisit when it is needed and there are unexpected hard times(which can range in time frame so it's nice it's available), bad being the abuse of them. You get the point
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:08 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think social safety nets do a lot more than people give them credit for. People who are broke need things, and they need them NOW. Programs like SNAP and TANF are a 'bottom up' economic stimulus - rather than putting the money in the hands of the oligarchy, who claim to use it to create jobs, but hoard their wealth, the money goes into the hands of people who need it, and spend it at their local gocery store. That grocer sees their bottom line increase, and can afford to hire a couple more people. The corporate office sees that business in that area is up, and decide to build another store nearby. This creates jobs and stimulates the local economy.
    Austerity measures don't work. Never have, never will.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:24 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I just wanted people opinion on it. I think it goes both ways like kerp1960 said
    AbsoluteSelf

Comment by AbsoluteSelf (original poster) at 12:45 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• No i really dont think medicaid and foodstamps are bad they help out with alot of things especially if you dont have the money to pay for your doctor visits or if you go to the hospital .. and foodstamps help you out alot also it saves you money .
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 2:09 AM on Dec. 2, 2010