hematoma on dogs ear

any ladies out there have had to have surgery for their dog to drain and repair a hematoma? My dog had his drained yesterday and a tube placed in there to keep draining. They wanted us to keep it in for 3 weeks. My dog was lifeless with his cone on, wouldn't move an inch. Couldn't get him to eat, drink, or go out to go potty. The vet said we could take the cone off as long as we watched him. With one shake the tube was out. His ear was fine, but now I believe the hematoma is coming back. Thinking we may have to go the surgery route, since the tube and cone is not going to be feasible. Please give me advice and experiences...thanks!

xtwilightx

Asked by xtwilightx at 12:36 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Pets

• Yes!

I managed to keep a hematoma from filling up and requiring anything, but I caught it immediately, literally the ear was just slightest bit thick on the inside, and I babysat this dog for a week, very, very carefully. The vet was quite pleased with my homemade ear bandage contraption because it actually stayed on his head! that was the hardest part.

Hematomas are a bloody pain. Most of them require surgery. It sounds like that would be the best route BUT you need to be super diligent with the after care-about 3 weeks-or they can shake and refill it again. The surgery does leave some cosmetic scarring. They put stitches all over, it is like a pie crust pattern to build up scarring and prevent filling again. A laser surgery is a good way to go on this if it is offered. Surgery with good recovery is usually effective for the future.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:58 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yeah, I'd take him back in ASAP before it gets worse. With the drainage tube out, you could be risking infection. Especially if it's filling back up again. It could actually be worse this time.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:42 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• well yes, i just want to know about the surgery if anyone has had it done. because i think that is the next course of action.
    xtwilightx

Comment by xtwilightx (original poster) at 12:49 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yeah, I know. I have dealt with hematoma in dogs. It usually ends in surgery. Not much you can do at this point.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:52 AM on Dec. 2, 2010