Bathing Kids Together?

How do you feel about bathing yours kids together? Do you don't you? How old and what genders.

Generally I don't do it. My daughter is three and my son is 2 and half months. I just don't feel they should bathe together becuase we're starting to work on personal boundries with Em, ie don't come into the bathroom if mommy or daddy are in there, shutting doors, those sorts of things.
Though we have perhaps twice now bathed the kids together in a pinch.

JadeRDragosani

Asked by JadeRDragosani at 12:39 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• We did til about a month ago. We have two boys and they are 14 months apart at 3 & 4 years. However, we have started to bathe them separately simply to make things easier on us at this point because there is less splashing and fighting. Plus, they prefer to be alone at this point. I remember having to bathe with my sister growing up, I would say til at least 8 or 9, and I hated it! There was a 5 year gap between us and it really wasn't fun...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:42 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I bathe WITH my 6 month old and 4 yo now a days. :) 4 YO bathes on her own too of course.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:26 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I didn't do it. It was too hard to handle two in the bathtub at a time, and I agree with you about teaching them boundaries.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:41 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• We bathed our older son with daughter until he was about age 4 and then also felt it was time to work on boundaries.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:13 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• For a while it was easier to do seperately, but for a while I've been bathing them together.DS is almost 4 and DD is almost 2. I don't know the best time to stop bathing together, but I plan on bathing them seperately again within the next few months. Growing up, it was just my sisters' and I, so it was no big deal. By the time my brother came along, I was almost 10, so bathing together was LONG gone by then! We're just going off of what seems right for us.
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 1:30 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• We did all the time when the kids were little. Too much trouble and a waste of water to do separate baths. My oldest stopped bathing with her younger brother and sister when she was about 5 1/2 although at 10 she will occasionally jump in the shower with one or both of her sisters to save time/water (they are 8 and 4 1/2). My son and middle daughter (9 and 8) continued to bathe together until they were 5 and 6 or 6 and 7 (I don't remember). Again, the girl still bathes with her sisters whenever, mostly the younger one. My son no longer bathes with anyone but has volunteered to wash up the baby (4 months) while he's in the bath but hasn't done it yet because the baby is still too small. The 4yo has only ever bathed with her sisters and still does occasionally. They are all very close and comfortable with each other. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as they are fine with it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My girls still will take the occasional shower together on school nights. They are two years apart and it was so much easier when they were younger to give them a bath at the same time. On the other hand though, I have never bathed either of them with their brother.

fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 6:39 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My girls are 7 and 5. They still bathe and shower together and sometimes they do with me. If we had a boy? Don't know. It would depend on the comfort level and questions being asked of all involved.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 7:28 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I did when the kids were younger- my two girls (6 and almost 4) still bathe together a lot of the time. It saves time for me and they have someone to play with in the tub. My son used to bathe with my older daughter until he was about 6... then he decided he liked showers better. We've always been reasonably laid back about nudity- the kids will still get dressed in front of one another, for instance. I assume this will stop when they get to the age where they want more privacy naturally. We've really never made it a secret that boys and girls have different genitals... I'm okay with them seeing opposite sex siblings get dressed or in the tub. It's no mystery to them.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:19 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My 2 yr old boy and 3 year old girl bathe together daily, they love to play together in the tub and it saves me time and water . I don't have the extra hands and time to do each one alone. The 5 year old showers by himself though the little guys sometimes like to put bathing suits on and get in with him. We will start working on boundries and privacy when they are all a little older. I see nothing worng with it as they all sleep together as well, they ar close and love to cuddle with each other. There will be plenty of time to ease into boundries as they grow.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 2, 2010