Baby Blessing/Christening?

First is a part of your religion? If so did you have it done for your baby? And lastly did you get a special out fit for your baby? If so what was it?
We're LDS so we do have baby blessings. My daughter was blessed and my mother made her a dress, crochet. My son is getting blessed in January. His Grandpa wants to get him an outfit and I believe at last count he wants to get him an all white tux. Myself I'd have settled for a white shirt and tie, but if it makes him happy I'm not going to knock a gift when it's not my money. And honestly it'll let big sis where her super fancy dress from our sealing last year one more time to go do pictures.

JadeRDragosani

Asked by JadeRDragosani at 12:58 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Many Pagans do baby blessings or even dedications. However, I have not done them with my children because my DH is Christian and we decided prior to having my oldest that we would raise them as religiously neutral as possible. So just as he didn't take them to a church for a blessing or baptism I did not do one either...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:20 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• We're Christian, but we decided not to. We're going to raise our child to understand all of his options and then let him decide. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:20 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My daughters wore the same baptism dress I did. It was made by a family friend for my baptism. My son wore a white knit outfit.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:20 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Both my sons wore the same baptism outfit. They both got baptized at 6 months. We did it to please our families which are Lutheran.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:37 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• WE are Christian (Southern Baptist) and we do baby dedications, saying that we agree to raise our baby in a Christian home and introduce him to Christian principles. I have had 4 of my baby's dedicated, the 5th will be dedicated next Mother's Day. All 4 of them wore new white outfits (my daughter's was a dress), and had hand knitted white blankets we carried which have been put away for use by their children.

Answer by missanc at 9:14 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Christenings are not something I am a fan of. It is not my choice to baptize my child, it is his to make when he is older. I will do my best to show him the love of God, take him to church and teach him everything I can. If he accepts Jesus into his life when he is older, then he can make the decision to be baptized as a public announcement of his faith.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 11:26 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I wasn't a Christian when my dd was a baby so she wasn't, but my church does Christenings./baby dedications. I would do now if I had a baby and I would get a white outfit for him/her.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 1:58 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• All three of my girls were baptized in the same gown. All white. With the youngest two I had the date set before they were born. We are Lutheran.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 2:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• well i'm lds to and i think some members think it's the same as baptising but it's not. i got a dress for my first daugther and then i just borrowed one for my new baby. the old dress was to big for her since her sister was much bigger then her when at that age. i don't remember what my boys wore. it' sbeen many yrs. i was unhappy with the blessing my husband gave my youngest girl. it was super short. he didn't bless her to marry or have faith in the lord or nothing. in fact i don't remember what he said. just that i said wow thats it!
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2010