fashion design book help

if you were going into fashion design...and wanted to buy a book cause their were no schools in your local area at the moment for fashin design. what book would you buy

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• Get a good patternmaking and an everything-sewing book. My degree was in fashion design and that was the only book I kept. Honestly, I think you need the following classes, though:

1) computer classes so you can get used to Photoshop, Illustrator, WebPDM, MicrografX, U4ia, and others that companies use on the job. If you don't know these, I think you'll really have a tough time getting a job.

2) draping and sewing classes: you need to know the human body and draping and fit is a function that technical designers need. Sewing classes because you need to know how clothing is constructed. Plus if your boss says "sketch a blouse with a French seam/set-in sleeve/pintucking/shirring" will you know what that is? You won't sew on the job but you need to know these things.

orangeorbie

Answer by orangeorbie at 1:14 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• 3) You can take all of your gen. ed. classes online if you can't get to a school...I had to take everything from color theory, physics, math, and others.

Now that I'm remembering more, my advice is that you really should go to school for this. What area are you in? Maybe you could do your gen. eds for 2 years online and then move and finish off your degree with classes that really need to be done in person. I just think you'll have a tough time getting a fashion design job without any schooling. It's not really a major you can study, like math. It's all hands-on because that's how the job is.
    orangeorbie

• I designed for a major nationwide chain and actually have an interview Friday with an apparel manufacturer to be a designer. PM me anytime if you want any more info. Also, maybe you could get your degree in another field and then try to get a fashion job? The designer above me at the major chain was a journalism major, so you never know. Something else that can help you is to work during college with anything fashion-related that you can. I did many things, from getting my purses sold in a boutique in Chicago, to dressing models for all the big Chicago fashion shows and at Oprah, sold bridal gowns in the Merchandise Mart in Chicago for bridal shows, and even working retail can all help you. The man that I met with and will have my interview with on Friday asked me so many questions about my work experience during college. Good luck!
    orangeorbie

Answer by orangeorbie at 1:18 AM on Nov. 6, 2008