Who was the Best President Ever?

I say Franklin Roosevelt. He brought this country out of the depression and instituted social security and medicare

tracylyn245

Asked by tracylyn245 at 1:09 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• speaking strictly about positive impact on the country - Clinton.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:58 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Hmmm....I would have to say either FDR or Lincoln as the best overall. Kennedy and Clinton are pretty high on my list as well.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:09 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Cbk, You should check your history facts again. Reagan actually spent more, decreased taxes. This started the mess we are in right now. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/21/opinion/21krugman.html
    http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0611-04.htm
    Also, you should read up on the Iran-Contra affair.

I think the best president overall so far is Lincoln. He had some faults but overall he tried to help the country. He was once dubbed, "the black president" b/c he was trying to help African Americans secure rights.

Answer by Mom2Just1 22 minutes ago

Mom, thanks, but no thanks. Don't need to read anything. I LIVED through it, and I STILL feel Regan was by far one of the greatest Presidents we ever had. And, since I haven't judged anyone else's posts, I'd appreciate not being singled out,and mine torn to bits.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• depends on what you mean by best? best policies, best politically, made the biggest impact, had the fewest enemies? it really seems to depend on what events are going on in the world if a president is consider great. all presidents have good things & bad things in their histories, but if i were to chose one i'd have to go w/ Jefferson or Washington.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:24 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• FDR policies prolonged the great depression, WW ll is what got us out of it. I know I lived through it. Also President L. B. Johnson gave us medicare, not FDR.

The three great Presidents were Washington, Lincoln, and Reagan.

The 3 worse Presidents, Obama, Carter, Wilson.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• like derivatives, hedge funds, options and futures, were open to manipulation...and, as we now know, were manipulated to a huge degree, to further consolidate wealth in the hands of the few.
    Because of the pro-rich economic policies of the GOP and their sympathizers, we are seeing an unprecedented event - national assets are being moved into the hands of the banks, while the liability for that asset is being transferred to the government, and by extention, the people.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:36 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• That is subjective, based on each person's own perceptions and opinions. I'd say Regan. He came in and cleaned up the mess Carter left, and set the country back on the right track. It took us suffering through 4 years of Carter to bring us to the Regan years,and I guess we have to suffer through the 4 year Obama travesty to bring us to another Regan. When that happens, I guess it will have been worth what Obama has done to us, to be rid of him.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 9:48 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I guess I like looking at the complex person. I enjoy Washington for leading the way and not making a king out of himself. I enjoy Jefferson because he is complicated and wonderful. I love Lincoln for his socialist views, his writings are a window into his personal thoughts, wishes, and reflections. I love Carter for his humanitarian work after he left office. I love Clinton's ability to move things in the direction politically that agreed with my philosophy. Yes they were all flawed. All of them. Womanizers, cheaters, temperaments, lying...all past presidents have had their good points and bad.  Each left an imprint that could be debated as both good and the not so good.  We expect perfection and God like.  But I prefer the wonderfully rich and complex.  Much more interesting.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:57 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I don't know, I'm not political :D
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 1:13 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I give a vote to FDR myself.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:15 AM on Dec. 2, 2010