Has anyone ever wondered if their religion or belief system was wrong?

What if you found out you were wrong after you died and you were too late to change?
Just a thought. I admire people with strong faith. I just see religions with such different beliefs about the afterlife, do you ever wonder what's really the right one? Ever worry you'd find out after it was too late if you know what I mean?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 1:23 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm quite sure plenty of people have wondered. Some people change their minds and follow a different path, while others end up simply solidifying the beliefs they originally held after a period of questioning.

I talk to people about this all the time. :)

I'm not afraid of being wrong, no. If I'm wrong then there's nothing I can do about it.
    jessiferzzz

Answer by jessiferzzz at 7:53 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Is this another shoot off of Pascal's Wager?
    If I'm wrong I'm wrong. I stayed true to myself, I lived my life the best I knew how(Keeping in mind I'm speaking as if I died and found out I was wrong so this is all "Past" tense). I'll face whatever consequences there are should there be any.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:26 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• No. I guess the only reason I have never wondered if my beliefs are "wrong" is because I do not believe that there are any "wrong" beliefs. I do not believe that there is only one single soul path to God/Salvation.

Since I do not believe any are wrong, then it's hard to think that mine would be wrong..KWIM.. lol
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:32 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• yes at several points in time i wondered...and thats why i have such a secure faith now. if i hadnt allowed myself to wonder if i was wrong i would be a very unhappy person with a very legalistic faith. but instead im a happy person with a very free faith. i dont worry about being wrong anymore b/c my views on God have changed and i would hope that if i am wrong whatever is in the afterlife is willing to accept my good life as reason enough to grant me paradise (unless its just nothingness after death which means i lived my life well for just myself which is a good enough reason for me).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:36 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Ive thought about it, mostly when I went from the religion of my youth to the path Im on now.

I realized it was fear that I didnt know existed til then, a fear driven deep within me by the religion.

Logically I know I could be wrong but I dont really care. If the Gods deem me unworthy of "heaven" or reward or whatever you wanna call it because I didnt belong to one certain religion then they arent worthy of my respect anyway.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:39 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I did when I was Athiest/Agnostic/ and a "wavering" Christian (my term..applying to when I tried to understand without any help from others). Now, as I mature in my Christian walk, and seeing what I see, hearing what I hear, and knowing what I know, I have no doubt about where I will go when I die. I admit, in the beginning some parts of the Bible can be harsh, but after I fully understood it all made sense. I also look back and realize that when I was a "new age Christian" I was idolizing God and making Him something I wanted Him to be, not who He really was. Who He really is is so much better than who I made Him out to be.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 11:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Nope. I have never had a reason to wonder... I know my religion isn't right for everyone, but it's right for me, and that's all I need to know. I don't believe there is a religion which is or can be 100% right, even those religions which claim superiority have different sects and denominations which disagree with each other over some rather major points, and they can't all be right when they have different teachings. So, no, I don't have a doubt in my path, I don't believe there is an all mighty and completely correct path, nor, however, do I believe there is one which is completely wrong either. The majority of religions have more similarities than they do differences, this is where I believe the most truth and "correctness" lies and it's these similarities I prefer to focus on when it comes to exploring religion. Beyond that, I simply follow my heart and look for my own proof...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:28 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I don't 'believe' based on faith alone. I'm welcome to evidence coming along that points to something different. If what I think is truth does not hold up to experience, I need to think about that and take that into account. Sure, I could be wrong. We all could be wrong. We're all just doing the best we can.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:06 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Not really. I mean it doesn't matter if I'm wrong. There's nothing, well, I wouldn't know the difference, now would I? There'sa God I don't acknowledge, that is actually so jealous that my insignificant lack of interest in him gets him in a tiff I go to hell? I tink I'd prefer Satan if that's te case. At "worst" & there really is no worst, I got it "wrong" no higher being is going to punish me for lack of acceptance, not when I've tried to live well & do good. If he did well, he ain't much "higher" than me, so I can probably take him.

ninja

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 9:49 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I pretty much agree with this. I don't think any of them are wrong. There are many paths.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:53 AM on Dec. 2, 2010