Poopy pants

Can anyone help me - my 3 1/2 yr old son refuses to poop in the potty - he holds it for days then he will poop in his pants. We will have him try to go about every hour and he still will not go. When he goes in his pants he knows it's not right and that he should go on the potty but he doesn't --- so any and all tips will be helpful

Momamyamy

Asked by Momamyamy at 1:24 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He clearly knows he is wrong for doing it and is defying you. He needs to be disciplined so that he chooses NOT to continue doing this! I would make him sit (literally SIT) in it for 20 minutes, have him help you clean up the mess, give him a shower (not hot or cold) just a regular shower to clean up, and then spank him on his bare butt! He needs to understand that this type of disobedience WILL NOT BE TOLERATED and WILL be swiftly punished. Anyone who tells you "oh, he just needs time" - BULLSHIT (no pun intended! He KNOWS it's wrong and WON'T do it!! YOU ARE THE BOSS!! SHOW HIM YOU ARE AND THAT YOU MEAN BUSINESS!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:32 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Aaah, we're in the same boat. I wish I had some advice to give you, but nothing is working with us so far. I've tried offering different kinds of rewards if he poops in the potty (which he understands because that's how I got him to pee in the potty), taking favorite toys and TV shows away, even giving him a coldish shower to clean him up. He HATED the cold shower, and would tell me he doesn't want a cold shower, but after trying that 3 times, it didn't make a difference. My son, too, knows that he's not supposed to poop in his undies - even repeating what I say about not pooping on Buzz or Woody, his preferred underwear - but still, NOTHING is working.

Hoping some others have suggestions here.
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 2:44 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• WOAH! Toilet training is NOT something a child should ever EVER be disciplined for!
    This is totally normal. Toilet resistance, especially in boys in very common. Never punish or scold him for this. I know it makes you crazy...but so does he...get it? If you make this a battle you WILL lose. If you make this a battle, he will use this power against you. You can lead a horse to water so to speak. Google toilet resistance for positive measures you can use. Have him help you clean himself up when he goes, most boys don't like this idea....but don't yell, belittle, or punish him, it will only make it worse, and mess him up.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:58 AM on Dec. 3, 2010