My mom keeps bugging me to get tested for diabetes, but I think she's crazy

She wants me to get tested because I have to pee like a pregnant woman all the time and I stay thirsty. I think I just get dehydrated from forgetting to carry a drink, then end up peeing like crazy because once I do get something to drink, I drink a lot at one time. I have other symptoms/warning signs, but I think it can all be explained by other things. I'm 21, we don't have a family history of diabetes as far as I know, I'm not overweight, etc.

Would you get tested anyway to get her off your case? (I don't have health insurance, so I don't even know where to begin trying to find out how to pay for it.)

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 1:29 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Health

• It's a pretty cheap test. I would get tested. I started getting tested around age 18 every year, just to get a baseline, and to know what's normal for me. Then you can track it in case it starts to go up. The test is a fasting blood sugar. They can also do your cholesterol at the same time (a lipid panel).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:33 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Mom2boys, she didn't say she WAS pregnant, she said she's peeing like a pregnant woman.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:06 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Every one I know who is pregnant has to get a fasting glucose test during their pregnancy to check for gestational diabetes, diabetes women get while pregnant and then it goes away after the baby is born.

I am surprised your OB has not discussed this with you yet.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 1:58 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I just read where you do not have insurance. Look for a Crisis Pregnancy Center and they can help you with getting medical care on a sliding payment scale based on what you earn. They can help you with pregnancy clothes and baby items too.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 2:01 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I'd get tested anyway. There are ways around the insurance thing. I don't have insurance either. At least you and mom will have peace of mine. At least you would know for sure. It's nothing to be reckoned with.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:25 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Like Musicmom80 said, its nothing to be reckoned with. Diabetes can and kill you eventually if u leave it unchecked. It is a long and somewhat painful death. Lose your eye sight, your feet go numb but itys still hurts. It can also cause kidney failure. U need to see a doctor and maybe if you are lucky, you may just have Pre-diabetes, and with proper excerise and diet, u got a 95% chance if u diet and get excerise, u can reverse the effects and be able to get the threat of diabetes eliminated.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:51 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• The cheapest way is to buy a glucose meter. You can buy one for under $20. Then check your fasting sugar in the morning. again before you eat a meal & a couple hours after. This will give you an idea about your blood sugar. You sugar should be between 90-100.

If it's higher or as soon as you can afford it, see a dr for an A1C test.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:08 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Um, I haven't been pregnant in over two years. I DID have a gestational diabetes test in 2008, while I was pregnant.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• She never said she was pregnant!!!

OP; IF you had gestational diabetes while pregnant, you need to be tested now. It's a simple blood test. Call the health department and see if they will do it. Or ask your mom to pay for the test. It doesn't matter if you are overweight or not. My friend that has it is skinny and always has been. It is better safe than sorry.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Most doctors like your blood sugar between 70 and 90, they get a little more concerned if its over that. My DH got diagnosed diabetic a few yrs ago and thats what his doctor said. I test mine every 3 months and even after eating a starchy meal (potatos, rice) my sugar was 85. Anything over that get checked.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 6:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2010