Peditrician told me to feed baby every 2-3 hrs, but baby asleep all the time

hes a wk old, would you wake him up for feeding?'

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 1:31 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't feed my boys on a schedule, I fed on demand. I wouldn't wake him up, but that's a personal decision that only you can decide. I fed them whenever they were hungry.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:33 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• No, don't wake him up unless he goes for 4 hours without feeding. Every 2-3 hours is a good schedule when they're awake, but if your baby is a good sleeper, don't ruin it by waking him up constantly.
    DevinAnnesmom

Answer by DevinAnnesmom at 1:34 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Are you breastfeeding or formula feeding? I don't know much about formula feeding, but we nursed on demand, and DS is just fine. He would sleep for a long time, and then cluster feed (where he would eat every 30-45 minutes for a few hours). Feeding on demand is the best way to help keep them in tune with their hunger cues, and they'll generally eat when they need to. Very few babies aren't able to keep this in balance. Follow your instincts. If you think you should let him sleep, let him sleep.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I agree with the 2 ladies above me dont wake up him unless hes been asleep longer than 4 hours he knows when its time and when hes hungry he'll wake up .
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 1:37 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• It would depend on the babys weight and age. The doctor may have told you that cause the baby is too thin or not gaining weight like he should. I have one foster child I had to wake up every 2 1/2 hours to eat cause she was not putting on weight and she was basically starving. After about a month she was alot more awake and playing like she should be. It's always your call but sometimes you have to wake a baby up to feed them.
    Momamyamy

Answer by Momamyamy at 1:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Don't let a newborn go more than 4 hours without nursing. Your supply will drop, for one thing. You can try feeding on demand but it didn't work for me. Just made my baby want to nurse for 5 minutes here and there instead of 20-30 minutes every 3 hours. It's better to have a schedule, I think. That's generally what doctors and lactation consultants will tell you as well. It's just healthier.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 1:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i always woke up my baby every 3 hours to feed. that way my baby doesn't learn to scream it's head off every time they are hungry. the baby learns to trust you and only cries when it absolutely needs to. Thats my opinion.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 6:38 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I fed on demand (which usually was every 2-3 hours anyways) but I would not wake up the baby. I woke up and checked on him often. However, my doctor said if you wake them up they don't learn to sleep through the night as easily. You can also dream feed...which is not actually waking them but putting the bottle in their mouth. Since sucking is a reflex they will automatically eat if they want it usually without waking.
    m0_mommy

Answer by m0_mommy at 7:07 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Mine were all bottle fed and I just fed them when they were hungry, not on a schedule. They usually never went longer than 2 hours at a week, though.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:18 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• No one's asked the big questions... what's going on with his dipes? Has the meconium been passed yet? Any sign of jaundice? Lots of sleeping can be a symptom of jaundice and if that's present then you do need to wake him to feed.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2010