Santa?

My son is now 4. Last year my son and I were living with my parents at Christmas because my husband was deployed. SO my mom did the wrapping and put names on gifts and some were from "Santa." Now that we are living on our own again, I don't know if I want to do the Santa thing. For one, my husband thinks it is stupid. He doesn't really get into the holiday spirit, so he see's no point in Santa. For me, I loved it as a child...but I don't think I can talk about Santa with a straight face with my son!! Luckily he doesn't really care still, he is just happy to get gifts, no matter where they come from. But I am wondering...are there any other parents out there who just don't do the whole Santa thing? The thing I keep thinking is, what if we tell our son there is no Santa, then he goes to school and starts telling all the other kids? LOL...not that, that should be the only reason we tell him there is a Santa, but I think you see what I am saying.

ILoveCade

Asked by ILoveCade at 1:33 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Holidays

• We don't do Santa because we feel like then our children's focus is on him instead of the real reason for Christmas. We also just explain to them that most kids believe in Santa, so don't tell them he's not real and ruin it for them.
    DevinAnnesmom

Answer by DevinAnnesmom at 1:37 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I know there are a lot of parents not doing that these days. We plan to, but that's our choice. It's this hot button issue these days, which is kind of funny to me, but whatever. Do what feels right for your family.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:43 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I would do it with your son...and what's up with DH? Did he get a stick and a coal in his stocking for being on the naughty list or what? He needs to look at it from a child's POV - HIS CHILD'S POV!!!! It's not stupid to encourage imagination and magic in a child's mind.....isn't your DH glad to be home this year? He should be. I am glad he went out to fight for our country - but GEEEZ!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:26 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Our son isn't old enough to think about Santa with yet, but my sister is 10 years younger than me and my parents didn't do Santa with her. She never blabbed to any of the other kids about it, lol, because my parents taught her to respect that some people believe in him, and she also doesn't feel like she missed out on anything (I asked her that part because we're debating whether we're doing Santa or not, too.) ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i wouldnt tell him that until he is much older until he can understand it better it is good to have imagination that is the best a child can have
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 3:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2010