Holiday tipping/gift giving

I'm wondering if I should give the caregivers at my gym's child care a little something for the holidays. There are four main ladies who are there, and they watch my son for 3-4 hours a week. Would a $10 gift card be OK? Starbucks, Jamba Juice, or maybe Bath & Body Works?

Also what about the mail man? Ours actually walks door-to-door. The gardeners? The pool guys??

This can all add up rather quickly.

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 2:23 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Holidays

• I went searching for an answer at www.dogpile.com and found this awesome guide - you might find it useful as to what is deemed appropriate. GL

http://www.tellinitlikeitis.net/2008/12/christmas-tipping-christmas-tip-for-who-and-how-much.html
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:20 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• If you like the caregivers, a $10 gift card would be really thoughtful of you! It's not necessary or expected though. I don't tip the mailman. I do give a little bonus to our regular babysitter (she watches our youngest if we go out), but other than that I don't do any holiday tipping. (I do tend to "over-tip" at bars/restaurants because of the season though.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:52 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I don't, with all the other people we're expected to give to, it's just too much. Besides my gym is the Y and there are about 10 ladies there, I don't have that kind of money, which is why I go to the Y to work out in the first place :)
    goorob

Answer by goorob at 9:29 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think you're supposed to give gifts to all those people, but, as you say, it adds up quick. Give what you can and don't feel guilty about not giving more.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:24 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• yeah that would be nice you can by some cheap christmas card & put the gift cards in it you have a good heart
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• If you want to say 'thanks' for exceptional service or for being so nice then tip. I always tip the mailman, but maybe thats cause he lives here ;} if ya know what I mean....
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 10:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2010