Potty training: peeing standing up when we're still having trouble with pooping on the potty.

My almost 3-year-old is doing alright with potty training: he'll pee in the potty just fine, but he still refuses to sit on the potty or toiler for poops. He'll happily poop in his underwear or on the floor if he's bare-bottomed. Tonight during bath, I tried to see if my son will pee standing up - he did so (in a cup) in the bath without protest. Now I'm wondering if I should start encouraging him to pee standing up, which could help when we're out because he is still refusing to pee in public toilets. (I keep a potty chair in the trunk of my car, so he'll pee there. But sometimes we could be out and about for 3+ hours, and I don't want him holding it that long if he'll go in a public toilet.)

Should I keep having him sit down on the potty until he can finally poop on there as well? Will it somehow confuse him if he pees standing up before he's comfortable with sitting down to poop?? Or should I go ahead and encourage him to pee standing up, since sitting down to pee isn't making him poop on the potty any easier anyway??

(Yes, I've tried rewards, bribes, taking things away, even cold showers when he poops in his undies, but nothing so far as worked to get this kid to poop on the potty.)

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 2:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We have DS sit for all of it still, and occasionally pee standing up (like if we're at a park with no restroom). You may have to rush him to the bathroom when you can tell the poop is imminent. Rush him in, sit him down, and make a HUGE fuss when he's finally successful. Bring him toy (that you've purchased ahead of time), tell him how proud you are, what a big boy he is, call Grandma and Grandpa and brag, whatever it takes for him to see how positive it is.
    In some public restrooms, we let DS stand supported, on the toilet seat. We aim his penis for him (at 2, he's not there yet on his own). He was weird about public toilets for a long time, and we still have the potty in the car like you do, but the standing is a great option (at least for peeing) when the toilet is scary and/or gross.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:43 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I've tried to rush him to the potty when I notice he's about to poop, but he usually poops out what he can and then physically fight me against sitting down. I've bought new toys that he really wants and displayed them, explaining that he can pick one if he poops in the potty, but that didn't work either. :(
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 2:53 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Does he have any friends his age who are potty trained? Have you tried explaining that only babies poop in their shorts, but yoir friend so and so is a big boy and poops in the potty, can you poop like so and so? Might be a new approach? Use peer pressure to yoir advantage! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:07 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• @musicpisces, he has one buddy who is pretty much completely potty trained (except for nighttime). I'll try peer pressure, but I don't know if my son really understands what the big deal is about being a big boy vs. baby. We make a big fuss about being a big boy, but if you ask him, one time he'll say he's a big boy, but the next he's a baby.

@Zoeyis, I guess I got it stuck in my head what I've read in potty books and articles: that starting out, it's less confusing/intimidating to have boys sit down for all. But none of them ever mention what happens when the kid is resistant to just poop. (Eh, daddy's at work most of the time, so unfortunately for my son, I'm his only teacher.)
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2010