I HAVE ANEMIA....

IAM 36 WEEKS PREGNAT MY FIRST BABY AND I HAVE ANEMIA I DNT TAKE THA PILLS CUS THEY MAKE ME SICK AND I JUS DNT LIKE MEDICATION NEVRE HAVE....IS THERE ANOTHER WAY I KAN MAKE SURE MY BABY DOESNT COME OUT SICK IAM VERRY WORRY....:(

mommy2B.

Asked by mommy2B. at 2:36 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Eat nuts, meat or anything with iron.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 2:38 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• You NEED to take your iron pills. Otherwise, you risk major hemorrhaging in labor, and possible blood transfusions. You need to take your iron. Eating foods high in iron can help, but you need to take the supplements. Lean beef, legumes/beams, and dark leafy greens are you best dietary options. Liver is really high in iron.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:38 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I got anemia too, I have never been able to swallow pills, so I had to crush my prenantal pills and they tasted nasty that they would give me chills! So I only took them for about a month or so. So right after I had my son my cells were unleveled cause I was pending iron so the dr. injected me 15 iron shots on my but cheeks! Maybe they can do that to u too, for me its better than taking pills!
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 2:43 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I agree with the pp - please trust me on this - you really do need to take your vitamins! If they're making you sick, talk to your Dr about alternatives.

I didn't take mine (well, I did, but not regularly - for the same reasons you don't). I also ate a very healthy diet with a lot of iron rich foods. My baby was ok, but my iron was very low, there were problems with my delivery - I don't know if it had anything to do with my low iron - one of the things was the placenta wasn't separating properly, I was bleeding, and they basically had to knock me out and go in and get it...

I was also in the hospital for several days afterward, and they put me on a LOT of iron afterward, to get my counts up to a somewhat normal level. Not to be tmi, but the dosage they had me on, while I needed it for my blood counts, made me constipated - NOT a good thing just after having a baby....

please, talk to your Dr and take your meds!

gl
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:46 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• first of all take adeep breath and relax.......can u write down what is ur hemoglobin presently and what kind of anemia do u have.if u cant take iron pills as they r really nasuating and gives severe pain u can eat one cup of boiled spinich twice a day it will really help and now a days there are coated iron tablets available in ,arket they r really less troublesome.all the best.
    naira768

Answer by naira768 at 6:24 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I have anemia that isn't helped by iron pills (I have abnormally shaped cells that can't absorb the iron). During pregnancy, my hemoglobin goes down to 7 which is when they would normally start thinking about a transfusion. All 5 of my babies were fine and healthy at birth. I did hemorrhage during my 4th delivery and they had to give me a transfusion at that point, but my baby was healthy. I'm not saying you shouldn't try to take your pills, but I really don't think it's going to affect your baby a whole lot whether you do or not - they take what they need from you. You will just be run down and tired because you don't have enough iron stores for yourself.

Answer by missanc at 8:44 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Baby will be fine, it's your health that you need to worry about! :)

I refuse to take iron pills as well, so my midwife suggested floradix along with a very high iron diet. My hubby LOVED it! Rare steak and baked potatos everynight.... lol. Plus, green veggies, eggs, nuts... cook on a cast iron skillet if you have one. Reduce or eliminate dairy.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:39 AM on Dec. 2, 2010