Quick fix society (rant)

Why do people post questions on here asking how they can lose weight, but then say they don't want to hear about eating healthier, and they don't have time for exercise? Do people think there is some magic pill out there that will solve all of their problems? All of those fad diets tear your body up and slow down your metabolism, so then, as soon as you go off of the diet, you gain back all of the weight and more. A balanced diet with small portions, and exercise are THE way to lose weight, and it HAS to be a lifestyle change if you want it to be permanent. It takes WORK.
We've beam this society that expects everything to happen NOW and for it to be handed to us, so when we have to work for something, like this, people aren't willing to out forth the effort. They get discouraged when they're not losing 10 lbs a week, or they let one "bad" meal or choice derail their efforts.
Sorry, had to rant. This is such a common issue.

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 3:05 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• don't even get me started on this subject lol. one of my "hobbies" (arguably one of my life's purposes) for a number of years has been reading about healing properties of food and becoming increasingly disgusted with the FDA, pharmaceutical companies, and ignorance of the general population regarding the crap they eat along with the magic little pills (a phrase i often use), etc. it must be a pisces thing...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:24 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Do people think there is some magic pill out there that will solve all of their problems?

Yes because the TV tells them there is!
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:17 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Is there a magic pill for health in general? No. I gained over 80 pounds with my thyroid issue ( I at the time was fine for many years and never had a problem with it and meds were not needed to control it and then it ALL changed!!! ) and Im on medication for it, HOPING I will not have to have it zapped out and like my doctor says, "I'm sorry, there is no magic pill to help you lose the weight, you have to do things the old fashioned way."

I gained 65 pounds the first time my thyroid acted up and it took me over 6 months to lose it. I did it once. I can do it again. Diet and exercise was the key. You are right. It HAS to be a lifestyle change. I've been overweight most my adult life and struggled but never ever went over 200 til my thyroid acted up.

Slowly but surely Ive lost SOME weight, but here I've lost weight and then gained and had to have my medication dosage changed. Again. But I am getting there.
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 3:26 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Oh and I am one of the few whom can say it's partly my fault too for gaining. It's not like I was 200 and I woke up a week later at 280! LOL

I DID go from 200 to 280 when I had my son 6 yrs ago, lost it all and then my thyroid acted up. Lost it and recently gained most back and how lovely to go thru menopause. I have it under control but there is NEVER going to be some quick fix to lose weight QUICK. It does not pack on quick.

It will take me time to lose it but I will lose it again. Determination and consistency will be the key. I HATE those diet ads that 'claim' pounds just melt away. HA! The only thing to melt away from the consumers is their money buying that stupid diet crap!

SOME people DO have medical issues far worse than mine, but I can't blame thyroid and menopause for ALL my weight gain. I can at least admit that much. ONE day I'll be 150 again. And I WILL!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 3:32 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yay, OP!!! I completely agree and those questions drive me nuts too! I finally just stopped answering most of them, as when someone is looking for an easy fix, they generally don't want to hear that it's hard work.

dumbbelltreadmillapple

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:16 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• i also have thyroid issues, and while they are genetic in my family, i didn't have any problems with it until after taking depo provera (which had the added bonus of making me nuts along with gaining 50 lbs in 6 months after being one of those people who could eat anything and not gain weight). since then, i have lost small amounts of weight. the time i did best losing and keeping weight off was not by trying to lose weight but by tryiing simply to improve health. i cut out dairy (i am allergic to milk even though i love it) and took food enzymes and probiotics (from a company that makes quality stuff not the cheap stuff at the grocery/drug store which often doesn't even have the active ingredients or has garbage fillers-will share info if u PM me) and all of a sudden the weight just disappeared (and reappeared once I reverted). food allergies can be hard to notice if you eat the stuff all the time but can cause weight gain.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• There is just no substitute for eating healthy and exercising. I have to ignore those questions as well, when I've answered I've been responded to "I don't have time/money to eat right and exercise." I struggle with my weight, I have all my life. I know that adding exercise and cutting out excess fats/sweets drops pounds, it just takes time.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:25 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I hate those ads! And the magazine ones are just as bad!! Ug! Every nutritionist's worst nightmare! LOL
    musicpisces

Comment by musicpisces (original poster) at 3:19 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• LOL, could be! I'm a big fan of clean eating, which, combined with EXERCISE (who knew??), has helped me lose almost 30 lbs so far. It's AMAZING all the crap that goes into shelf foods these days. I'm glad I know how to cook from scratch.
    musicpisces

Comment by musicpisces (original poster) at 3:27 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Ug, thyroid issues make it especially tough. I've been overweight most of my adult life, too, and I've gotten really serious about making healthy lifestyle changes for the long run in recent months. It's tough, especially as moms, to find the time, but we are also setting an example for our kids. DS does my Jillian Michaels video with me, which is funny to watch since he's 2, but it reassures me I'm makin exercise a normal thing for him.
    musicpisces

Comment by musicpisces (original poster) at 3:31 AM on Dec. 2, 2010