My 2 yr old isnt sleeping AT ALL!! She cries ALL night. I cant get her to sleep until 5am sometimes! Whats going on? I need help.

My 2 1/2 yr old falls asleep around 8;30 everynight and wakes up an hour later, every night.. and stays awake crying until 5am sometimes.. She cries for everything, water, sandwich, kisses, wants us to lay with her, but the minute we try to walk out or do get her to dose off SHE WAKES UP!!! I cant take it anymore, and im running out of ideas, I need help. I dont know whats going on.. Im begining to think she has something wrong with her.

RobertsMama7935

Asked by RobertsMama7935 at 4:14 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds more like she's spoiled than anything else. If she takes a nap during the day I would start keeping her awake or at least lessening the time you let her sleep. Then when you're doing your bed time routine use a lavender scented shampoo and give her a small glass of warm milk with a lavender or chamomile extract. Hot chocolate works to, just make sure its a small amount of a warm drink(no more than 2c otherwise she'll want up to go to the bathroom) with a chamomile/lavender extract to help her sleep.
    Skipo510

Answer by Skipo510 at 4:20 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• To be honest with you, I dont think we spoil her at all. And she hasnt napped in over 2 months, She wont take naps either. We have a 1 yr old too, and she has no problems napping or sleeping at night.. Its gotten so bad that we've had to bring her back into our bed to keep her from waking her little sister all night. Im so confused.. I will try your suggestions though.. Thank you.
    RobertsMama7935

Comment by RobertsMama7935 (original poster) at 4:28 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• the thing is that by going into her room when she starts crying thats giving into her wants because what she wants is you. so in a way you are spoiling her. we had this happen with my Lo and the only thing that worked was being stern. we went in the first time he cried and said no its nite nite time you need to go to sleep gave a kiss and walked ut. from there on we let him scream and wouldnt go back in. if he screamed more than an hour i would go in lay him back down sternly and say nite nite and walk out. if you touch her when you go in then it makes it worse unless its a stern touch, cuddling and loving is more than likely what she wants so she cries till you give it to her and now shes in your bed so to her it worked. you have to be the stronger one. GL
    Tfor2

Answer by Tfor2 at 7:58 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Is she getting enough one on one attention from you during the day? Plus praise when she does things right? I would talk to her and tell her this night time behavior has to stop. Maybe suggest that if she stays in her bed she can get stickers and put them on a chart. Then once she has a certain amount of stickers she can have a special toy, lunch out, go out for icecream? Just ideas............ GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:32 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• So what I'm going to suggest is going to sound nutty but.. have you tried putting her to bed earlier? If she isn't napping and going to be at 8:30, I'm wondering if maybe she's getting over tired? We've had that problem with our son on occaision. When he gets too tired, he doesnt' sleep as well and tends to wake up. It then becomes a vicious cycle. He's overtired, he can't settle, he gets upset, etc. Also, try looking at what happens in the hour before bedtime. Does she watch TV? If she does, try eliminating that and reading or doing some quiet activity instead. Lastly, if she wakes up at the same time, check the room to make sure there isn't an outside influence waking her up (i.e. does something turn on at the same time and make noise?)
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• my son started this at 2 years old and he just turned 3, 3 weeks ago and we still have issues, he has never come to bed with us and I've tried every method and routine and adjusting bedtimes and dr visits I don't know - there was a 6 months period where neither one of us slept more than 4 hours total all night - it was insane. Now he usually wakes 2-3 times which i am actually thankful again for.. I was recently suggested by a nurse to try melatonin so I am trying it but on day # 4 now and its not helped.. except he falls asleep faster, he's still waking but now its like its giving him better sleep so bedtime at 8 he wakes at 11 thinking its time to get up - I am going to try it for a month and document it all and ask for a sleep study.. I can't take it anymore and I am terrified what its doing to him because he has constant bags under his eyes..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Thank you guys.. I will try something new tonight. Im beyond tired.. So, we will see how this goes. Thanks again!
    RobertsMama7935

Comment by RobertsMama7935 (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Do NOT fall all over youself when she cries for things. Tell her to ask for food without crying and she will get it. She is in the habit of doing this for everything, because she gets what she wants. If you are up and down with her all night, this will be the norm. I would let her cry it out. Sounds harsh, but at this age, she should be sleeping thru the night, you will be nuts if you don't get some sleep.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:55 AM on Dec. 3, 2010