What should i say to my mom?

My little sister is 12 years old-almost 13 and she weighs 265pounds, im so afraid of her health- she weighs more than my mom and step dad, i know everyone knows she is over weight but they dont want to have to deal with it!! how should i encourage my mom to go on a stricter diet for all of them? (by the way i do not live with them , i am watching my sisters while they are out of town). i mean my mom knows about all the effects of her being over weight- she is a RN nurse. i just think she is in denial

ldc90

Asked by ldc90 at 9:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Health

• Has she had a medical work up? I started gaining weight around puberty and NOTHING kept it off. I was in color guard, walked 6 miles 5 days a week (to school, home from school and back to school for band practice) and ate pretty well but still nothing helped. I never had a regular period, which never bothered me until I tried to have kids. My doctor told me just to lose weight and everything will get better. Then I found out I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and Insulin Resistance. Both which make it hard to lose weight. I started meds for the insulin resistance and started loosing weight. I understand you wanting to help her. How about taking a walk and just talking to her. Ask her what you can do to help her.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• IMHO that is child abuse/neglect to let that happen to her. that makes me so sad for your sister.

have you tried talking to your sister? I really doubt your sister is OK with being this weight. My husband weighs that and he's 6'4".
    Anonymous

• my sister is 5'4 , my mom tries to limit amount of food, but somehow she sneaks it, she goes back for more and more, i know that she dont like to be this big, she gets real emotional about it, i mean my mom got a treadmil for her, and she dont use it at all, she will do like softball and volleyball , during those times she will lose about 5-10 pounds then after she stops its like she gains all of it back and then more.
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• do you have time to get a gym membership with her? go several days a week, maybe at the YMCA since it's the best price really. Sounds like she needs some emotional support. I know I don't feel very motivated if I'm all alone.

as for your mom, do a photo comparison type thing. Get some of the "before" photos of your sister next to some "after" photos of your sister. The camera has a weird way of showing us what we choose to ignore otherwise.
    Anonymous

• yeah well where my mom lives at its like in a town of 1000 people, i live 2 1/2 hours away, when she comes and visits we walk around the block (i live in the city) with my son. but she runs out of breath easy. I just want to help her, i want her to not have to be critisized her whole life for being overly obese.
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 10:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• but i will deffinatly do the photo thing
    ldc90