Religious folks..

Do you get offended by non-religious Xmas Carols? Are you offended by seeing menorahs? I don't understand why some of you are so concerned with only seeing the Xmas signs you're comfortable with...

If you are offended by either seeing other signs or by a lack of certain manger scenes, why is this?

TBQH, I get quite offended whenever I see a certain infant and then no other sign of the Xmas spirit!

gabrielle_x

Asked by gabrielle_x at 4:59 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Christmas isn't a Christian holiday, it was originally Pagan, so if anyone's gonna get offended...

The non Christian carols are totally fitting for those that are not of that faith or don't celebrate the religious side of the holiday and just do the Santa thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I like Christmas carols both christian and secular ones. I don't get offended by seeing other religious symbols. I like freedom of religion I think that's a good thing, I'd rather have tolerance and understanding of all religions.  I do like seeing the manger scene with the infant Jesus, because that's my religious symbol.   I like that there are more opportunities for me to talk to my kids about other faiths this time of year because there are several holidays going on.

I don't want to hide or down play my religion anymore then I want some else to, I like inclusion.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:49 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I don't see why people would be offended but everyone one is different. Christmas was indeed a pagan holiday and we don't know really when Christ was born (if at all) but the thought of coming together and giving is what matters.
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 6:10 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I do not get offended but I feel a certain pull to cry when I see X used for Christ in front of Christmas. It seems to me if one believes in Christ he would not cross him out of Christmas.
    KISS1224

Answer by KISS1224 at 7:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

Why do you get upset about the name of Christ being spelled the way it was originally spelled in Greek?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:39 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• It doesn't offend me to see other holiday symbols, I just think it's discriminatory when I don't see Christianity represented as equally as Hannukah, Kwanzaa, etc.

Answer by missanc at 8:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• What does one do if they do not believe that Jesus was the Son of God and that there was no Virgin Birth? WHat kind of symbol would we use to represent Christmas? It wouldn't be CHRISTmas then,would it? I suggest that EVERY symobol for every religious holiday be displayed and a new one created for those of us who believe in God only. How about that? :-)
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:06 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• "It doesn't offend me to see other holiday symbols, I just think it's discriminatory when I don't see Christianity represented as equally as Hannukah, Kwanzaa, etc. "
    I don't think I've ever seen every other "religious" symbol used with the exception of Christianity..If they're using a Menorah, they're usually using a nativity as well.

Kerp, Xmas has nothing to do with Baby Gee-Whizz. It's a time of brotherhood, happiness and a time set aside to spend with family.
    gabrielle_x

Comment by gabrielle_x (original poster) at 9:21 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• No, I don't get offended if symbols of my beliefs or other people's beliefs are used or not used. Christmas has always been pagan anyway, long before it was a Christian holiday. Even when I was a Christian, I knew that new religions often pulled ideas and traditions from old religions. So, it's always been celebrated in different ways by different people. Many people celebrate a secular Christmas.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Christmas.Bah Humbug!! Geez,celebrate it however you wish and quit with the whining already!

frustrated

GingerKitten

Answer by GingerKitten at 9:47 AM on Dec. 2, 2010