Is there something I can feed my dog who's skin is dry?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 5:54 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Pets

• Brewers yeast is great. I give it to my dog and you can get it at walmart. Also, they have food for healthy skin and coat. All brands should have it
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 6:08 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• You should look at what you are feeding your dog first. If your dog is allergic to the food it can cause dry skin. When I have had dogs with skin problems I fed them a holistic diet called California Natural. I also used a supplement called Nupro. Fish oil can help as well
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:15 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yes, first try switching them to a high-quality brand of food (if you're not already feeding one). You will not find anything high-quality at Walmart or the grocery/dollar store (unless maybe you are shopping at a health food store). Check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com for a 4-6 star brand. You can also give fish oil, like wild Alaskan salmon oil.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:27 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• We usually pour some olive oil over 1 of my dog's 2 meals each day. We also give him the drippings from when we cook bacon, etc. How often do you brush your dog? They're just like humans; When you brush their fur it stimulates oil production, which helps keep skin from getting dry.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I too have a dog with dry skin. Fish oil is good. Don't let your dog with dry skin sit in near your fireplace or heating register; it will further dry out his skin.
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 12:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Put an egg in his dog food.
    SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 1:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• YES !!!... SavageGrl has a really good suggestion ! Eggs are wonderful for animal's skin !!! And,---they're inexpensive too !
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 1:46 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• i know a friend of mine bets the gell caps that have fish oil in them makes his dinner and brakes the capsel and pours the fish oil all over his dinner and she swears it works he has not had dry skin since she has done it
    luv_baby

Answer by luv_baby at 10:02 AM on Dec. 4, 2010