Having twins. first pregnancy. Any advice??

i can use all the help and tips i can get please.

mauricellaf

Asked by mauricellaf at 6:18 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I haven't had twins but as far as first pregnancy goes, educate yourself about whats happening with your body so you know things to look out for, things you should and shouldn't eat etc. Accept offers of help with chores and errands especially the more pregnant you get, it will give you more time to relax. Try to relax and destress as often as you can, and most of all enjoy you pregnancy coz soon you will have your hands full and be rushed off your feet!!
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 6:46 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I dont have twins, but the thing that helped me most was when i learned to nap when my son naps!! Even if its only 30 min you will need the rest! I always wanted to get my housework done during these times and I quickly wore myself out!
    m0_mommy

Answer by m0_mommy at 6:49 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• You are going to be miserable. Your skin is going to stretch, be itchy, you'll pee all the time, not be able to breath, and not be able to sleep.
    But the end result is wonderful. My twin pregnancy was extremely normal. They ended up sitting on a nerve just under my rib cage and I lost feeling under there until about a month after I had them. Listen to everything your doctor tells you. Do not over do it. Normal gestation for twins is about 2 weeks before normal gestation for singleton births.

Good luck!! Oh, and don't do matchy, matchy twin names. They WILL get teased if you do that.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:10 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• lol im almost due and im not miserable :-)
    mauricellaf

Comment by mauricellaf (original poster) at 7:20 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• First of all...congratulations! My first pregnancy was also twins...the boys are now 14. My best advice to you is that organization is key. You will want to get them on the same sleeping schedule as soon as possible, so that you will have some time for you. Remember to take care of you as well, for you will be no good for them if you are always running on low battery, so to speak. Accept as much help as you can get from friends and family. There is a support group, Mothers of Multiples, that you may find very helpful. Above all, even if they are identical and look like carbon copies, remember that they are individuals and to treat them as such...mine hated being referred to as "the twins" even at a small age and insisted on being called by their names. Congratulations once again and good luck!
    Chalicia

Answer by Chalicia at 8:04 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• A close friend had twins, they are 3 now. The pregnancy was fine, and she delivered naturally. She said that she regretted buying two cribs right away, because they preferred to sleep together for the first 8 months or so. She also had to replace her "side by side" stroller because it was too wide to fit down some store aisles. She was really stressed out about the babies schedules, and after about a week she said that things just fell into place for her. She joined a "MOM" group (Mothers of Multiples) which helped her out quite a bit as well. Good luck to you!! My friend said that it wasn't as difficult as everyone had led her to believe :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:09 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Look into the groups here for some support and ideas.. I think there is one for moms of twins. Use the group tab at top of page. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:24 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Label your baby pictures so you know which baby is which....as you will probably forget. I dont think im the only one who struggles sometimes...at least i hope not.
    I have frat girls who are 5.5 years old. Treat them as individuals, let them be seperated in school...seperate hobbies, encourage all aspects of them that are different from eachother and dont compare them as they are different people, even if identical! I found i was comparing milestones, growth etc between them....i was worrying with no reason to.

Enjoy them :)

Oh and cook up some meals in advance, freeze them ready for those first few wks of chaos that happens when ANY baby is born, no matter how prepared you think you are. Spag Bols, chilli con carnes, shephards pies, curries, soups....those are all dishes that freeze well.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 5:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• My advice is to just get some sleep. My sister has twins and she said life changed after that.
    Latriciat23

Answer by Latriciat23 at 5:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• SOOOO much to tell you, but I will keep it short. First of all when are you due? I just had two sets of twins almost back to back. The last trimester is going to be hard. It will help if you have a husband or your mother is close by. Forget what anyone says...housework is not that important!!!!! For your babies health, drink lots of milk (my opinion-more import. than water towards the end), never miss your daily vitamin (should be with extra iron), go to walmart and get some of those "DHA Lipil" vitamins or ask your doctor for some samples. Both sets of my twins were born around 36 weeks. We were in the hospital 2-3 days for me having a c-section and went home. They have never been sick (little colds here and there). Your hair may fall out, your face may get break outs (normal if preg. w/girls). Lol...normal for twins period. Right now your most important thing is to make sure you have some fat fully dev. babies born.
    tornadotwinsx2

Answer by tornadotwinsx2 at 5:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2011