Do you think some SAHMs...

keep having kids so they can continue to have purpose for themselves as the other kids get older and start school, etc?

Once those kids are off to school, some of us don't have much going on outside of errands and housework (woopdy doo) till they get back

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• None that I know. Most of the SAHMs I know (and they are few) only have 2 or 3 kids. I have 5 and I've been a SAHM for almost 11 years. I just had my last in July and it had nothing to do with giving myself something to do for another 5 years (my next one will be 5 in April). In fact I was a little upset when I found out I was pregnant again. I had been looking forward to my youngest starting kindy next fall and having time to do things for myself. Now I have to wait another 5 years. I don't plan to go back into the workforce. I might (if I feel like it) take some classes but most likely I'll just sit around and relax. It will have been 15 1/2 years that I'd been a SAHM by then...I plan to be semi-retired (at least while the kids are in school) and do things I enjoy. Both me and my husband are looking forward to that (being able to go out without kids in tow).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:48 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Everyone is different. For some being a SAHM/Housewife is what they want to do. I am perfectly happy doing this. I also agree with the PP, it is no different than a career woman getting more jobs, moving upthe ladder. I have two children now and yes DH and I would like more, but not so that I have meaning in my life. I am still my own person as well as a Mom.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 8:16 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• It's possible. But is that bad? Not really.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:26 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I wouldn't say that. She may have more kids because she enjoys her family, but to say it gives them purpose, no. Even with older children if you SAH only you have the house and all it entails. You can volenteer, or be busy in the school district or church. There are many things that can give a woman purpose other than having more children and a formal 9-5 job.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 7:23 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Being a wife/mother/homemaker is rewarding and a full-time occupation. There is nothing wrong with not having a need to work outside the home.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:38 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I think you have to find things to do that you enjoy. Maybe getting a part time job or starting a hobby. I have been a SAHM for 9 years and while at times I have hated it for the most part I love it. My kids have been in school for the past 4 years so I am home alone during the day. I started a business at onem point. It last 5 years before my DD got sick and I could no longer keep it.

To answer you question I suppose it is possible, although I did not do that.

I think you just have to be a little more creative then you might have been before. Know you aren't alone and Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I am sure there are some that chose to have more kids for this reason. But I also don't see why any sensible woman would add more to her plate than she can handle. If the finances are fine and she can still make time for her older children then why not?
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Maybe....but I dont see that any differently than I do a career woman taking a different job for more of a challenge or change.....know what I mean.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:44 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• its ok until you get bored out of your mind being in the house 24/7 with no real life friends and only this for social interaction. My aspiration in life was never to be a housewife. I don't mind doing that stuff as part of my contribution in the family, but its not all I want in life.

For some reason when DH is out working, kids are in school, I don't feel that rewarded as I lean over the toilet scrubbing someone's dried pee or cleaning up someones dirty socks they left on the floor. lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:42 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Thx, Cornflake.
    Yeah, its just that after awhile, you realize "there's just nothing to do around here of interest to me and the volunteer programs all stink mainly due to their being so unorganized." This is my social place, if not I'm just staring at the walls or gonna start playing my sons' Xbox for something to do lol.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:53 AM on Dec. 2, 2010