Does anyone Express

their dog's anal glands at home?
How successful are you?
Is it easy to learn?

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 6:56 AM on Dec. 2, 2010 in Pets

• isaw it in a book how to do it. so i think if i ever have to do it would pull that book out and try it. it looks easy. i'm sure there is a youtube video for it.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:42 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Luckily, my dogs have never needed it! lol I don't know if I could even do it myself. Yuck!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:23 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I do it at home. It is not really that hard to learn but it does take a little practice. I recommend doing it outside with gloves.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:12 AM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yep. My big dog has never really needed it. I used to work in a grooming salon so of course I had to learn how to do it. It's not so bad. When my cocker spaniel needs it done, I just grab some gloves, take her outside and take care of it.
    -LucyInTheSky-

Answer by -LucyInTheSky- at 12:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Yes, it is very easy, and no I don't express the glands regularly, only if absolutely necessary...very stinky business. Yech! And I too can't stress the importance of latex gloves! Get them at the pharmacy.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• I have never expressed my dog's glands myself b/c i'm scared it will hurt her if i'm not doing it right- my groomer does it every 3 weeks b/c she is Miserable if they are Full- She actually has a appointment to get it done Saturday- If you don't want to do it yourself; most groomers only charge $5.00 to do just the glands & you don't need a appointment-

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 5:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• keep in mind that alot of Groomers express them from the outside and that does not always empty them completely.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:10 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Nope. Never. I don't do it the vet doesn't do it. I don't see the point.
    furbabymum

Answer by furbabymum at 12:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2010

• Ew. I leave that up to the Vet. That's why he gets paid the big bucks. LOL

SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 8:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2010