how do you know if your child has an allergic reaction?

I've been feeding my 8month old son homemade babyfood for about 4 months now and no problems with anything. But I just started him on some juice, and tonight his face got red around his mouth and he had a few small red blotches on his tummy and his arm. But he is acting fine. So what should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son just had an allergic reaction to some food on Halloween. It was pretty scary. His lips started to swell up and his face was red and itchy. If your baby's lip start to swell it can be a very bad sign and you should call 911 if he seems like he is having trouble breathing.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• A rash around the mouth and on the stomach after eating something could definitely be an allergic reaction. You can try giving it to your child again and keep some Benadryl nearby. If there is another reaction don’t give him the juice again.

Sometimes kids can outgrow the allergies, or if it seems to get worse, go see an allergist.
    NorthernVaMommy

Answer by NorthernVaMommy at 10:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2008